Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heater Question

Hi. I don't know if anyone remembers me or not, but I've posted a few questions here and there and found the advice and tips ever so helpful. For this, I thank you all.

I believe it's been a very long time since I last posted. I've had my 75gal saltwater/live rock aquarium up for a few months now, and I have snails and crabs in it; they've been doing really well. My testing results are very good, but I'm still too anxious to try my hand at putting fish into it. I know I'll have to eventually, and it will be well worth it, but I still don't feel ready to make that step.

One of the reasons for that feeling is I just realized that I don't have a heater. I don't know how I could've forgotten to get one, but as last night was really chilly (I live in South Carolina), I know my tank definitely is in need! But, I have no idea what to get. Would anyone have any recommendations? If it helps narrow the field, it's a 75-gallon tank with live rock (nothing reef-ish--I'd love to get into that arena, but I'm in no way, shape, or form ready for that committment yet), snails, a Via Aqua multi-skimmer that's been working wonderfully for me (judging by the testing that I do every other day), and an undergravel/substrate filter. The multi skimmer is the backpack type, so there is no canister filter to put a heater in line with it.

I'm really paranoid about breaking glass (I love to make candy over the holidays but hate using that dang thermometer--one of these days I know I'm going to break it), and I've heard about titanium ones that won't break. Would this be a good option for me? And what kind of wattage should I look at getting? Should I get one higher wattage and put it in the rear center, or would two smaller wattage heaters be better by putting one on each end?

Also, if anyone has any questions or advice about anything at all, I'm definitely all "ears" (or eyes)! My primary goal is to keep my critters healthy and happy, so I'd be happy to accept any words of wisdom from those more experienced tank enthusiasts.

Sorry so long ... I know I babble ...

blondinkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Might go with a 300W of a 400W (to be larger than necessary) heater for a 75gal.

I would look online, b/c you are probably going to find ALLOT better deal than an LFS, I generally find that with my equipment, especially powerheads.

I would try www.webaquatics.com and www. marinedepot.com I have had good experience with both of these guys.

If you are near the NC/SC border, head to Charlotte and visit Fintastic, I was just there last week, and they had some great closeout deals on Hydor Heaters 50% off which put a 300W at about $22 if I remember correctly.

If you are in the Greenville area, head on over to Ocean's Floor for your livestock purchases great people to deal with and you can get RO/DI water mixed to whatever SG you want for $1.00/gal using Oceanic Salt, or $1.25 using Kent. Good guys, run by a Father and son. They havve a great Ciclid tank that I want to set up.

Finatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Check out Won Heaters. They are Titanium with a sensor probe so You can put the heater in one area iand the sensor in another. A good price on a 300W with digital readout is about $35-40. They make non digital readout as well for a little less. I swear by them.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with the titanium heater.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have two Titanium in my 55G, they are great. As for a thermometer, I got a digital one, no glass.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com