Hello. Relative newb here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyMonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I have decided to throw my hat into the saltwater so to speak. I had freshwater for years, years ago by the way. Always wanted a saltwater tank. Now that my son is Fish crazed it seems the perfect time. I had been planning on going with a 55 G FO and upgrading to FOWLR in the future, then hopefully expanding to Inverts and what not. However, I just came upon a used tank that seems perfect. It is 58 Gallons. Comes with more than 40 pounds of live rock, sand, protien skimmer and an Emperor 400 HOB filter. Lighting is Lunar Q? I think. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure this would not be overkill for a relatively inexperienced person such as myself. I like the tank, I just don't want to get in over my head. I plan on running the tank for a while like it is then gradually adding fish. Maybe some tangs, clowns and a wrasse after a bit. I have been researching like mad for the past several weeks and have learned a great deal. Thanks by the way. :D Any suggestions.

Keep researching. I am on my first SW tank and it is a 55 gal FOWLR. I don't think that going from FO to FOWLR would be a good idea, especially since you already have 40 lbs to start with. Use the LR that you already have and add some base rock to it, so you have 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. It will all becom LR before long. SW is a very addicting hobby. I told myself that I would only do some small hardy fish. Now I have a yellow tang and clown fish (both very hardy), but quickly moved on to inverts (cleaner shrimp, starfish). But by quickly I mean about 4-5 months.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The set-up sounds great. I am glad you are going with LR in the begining. It will sure make things easier on you. One question to ask whenever you buy a used tank is if any medications have ever been doesed into the tank (copper, more specifically) as it will limit what you can put in the tank in the future. One small tang only in a 55gal. It is pretty much the bare-minimum for housing a tang. I recommend your next purchase be "The Consceintious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a great book and will be a nice resorce for you.

Thanks. I will pick up the book. Looks like I wma getting that setup. YEAY! :D Now, I must figure out how to move it. 8O

Ok. I have read up on moving tank I am buying used. So, I remove all the LR and sand placing them in buckets wraping some in newspaper. Transfer then put back together. Fill up a big container with tap, mix salt to the right amount and dechlorinate too. What about PH levels. Our tap is between 8 and 10 on the PH scale. That ok or does it need adjusting up front. Then it seems as though I hook up all the equipment again, filter, heater, protien skimmer and run it. (I may add a power head) This is where the process of curing the LR comes into play right? I am not sure if that is necessary or not, as the tank has been sitting for a week or so. Do I still need to do the curing process?

Well, I checked into that just now. I don't have time to purchase one prior to seting up the tank. But I can get one in a few months. Any suggestions for treating the water I will be using absent a RO system? Do I just fill a large bucket then mix with Salt, dechlorinator and anything else?

One other question. How do most of you do water changes and/or fill your aquarium? Using a large garbage can or 5 gallon buckets with the Python type tube or what? Also, I have several buckets lying around. Some used to hold powdered laundry detergent and one had Baer Latex Paint in it. Should I try and clean those out or just find an alternative bucket? 8O

To follow up on your transfer, you should try and keep as much of the existing water as possible. Move the LR and LS in buckets filled with the water from the tank. Do your best to keep as much of that as possible, it will make the transition much simpler. For the rest, Mix your tap water with salt mix and let it aerate for 24-48 hours then add to the tank. HTH

tripper

Thanks for the info. I will let the water aerate prior to adding it. I also obtained 20 Gallons of RO premixed water from the LFS to add. I am afraid of Phosphates coming from my tap water. :? I will simply have to test the water often before and after adding I suppose. Thanks again for everones advice. :D

On the use of your buckets if there was nasty stuff in them i would just get a couple new ones and mark them for your salt water...just go to home depot or Lowes and get a few 5 gallon buckets there and the lids too, i stick with the white ones...u can also get a 15 gallon rubbermade and aerate in there and pump it into you tank or use the 5 gallon buckets. I started with 5's then moved to the 15 gallon with a pump.

Good Luck
Liz

Well. I sutup the used tank yesterday. It had been sitting for a while and had a Nitrate spike in about 30 G of water :eek: . Came with more than 70 lbs of live/base rock. Also came with a Lunar Aqualight by Coralife- 192 watt. (uses one 96 watt Actinit 03 Blue and one 96 watt 10,000K Daylight lamp), Prizm Protien skimmer, Air Pump, 3 Hermit crabs, around 1.5 inch sand bed, Heater, Emp 400 HOB, and a bucket of ods n ends with a book and little basket and sack of Brine shrimp. 8O I had no idea that it would come with so much stuff. Anyway, it seems as though I am doing ok for now on lighting. I read good things about the Coralife PC I have. I have read that the prizm is not the best skimmer but feel as though it should suffice for my current needs. As far as the sand is concerned, should I lay more down? It seems a little shallow 1-1.5 inches currently. Also, I have heard of using egg crates in FW tanks, should I use one on this tank with all the rock etc? Not sure about that. Any suggestions as to that or other equip I may need. (I realize now that a good pump wll save my recently surgically updated back :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom