Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Are you using tap water vs RODI for the tank? What are the baseline readings on your well water for nitrite, nitrate, etc? If you have farming nearby, they may be high due to fertilizers, etc.

You can use an RO unit, but get a booster pump if your pressure is low.
I am using rodi water. I dont use tap water. And my well is shallow. Its not the pressure im worried about. Im worried about it draining the well.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

If your rock was dead, you need to cycle for much longer than 5 days. I had dead (BRS dry) rock, used BioSpira, and am still waiting at least 5 weeks before I add any livestock.

Without an ammonia source, your bacteria most likely died on the vine.
Watch mrsaltwatertanks episode on dr tims bacteria. You can add fish immediately.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_freak23 View Post
Dr tims cycles the tank in 48 hrs or less.
To quote another AA user, saltwater tanks are like car races: the faster you go, the harder you crash. "Instant" cycling products do add bacteria, but I wouldn't stake the lives of my livestock, my money, or the time spent fixing things, on an "instant" product.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

To quote another AA user, saltwater tanks are like car races: the faster you go, the harder you crash. "Instant" cycling products do add bacteria, but I wouldn't stake the lives of my livestock, my money, or the time spent fixing things, on an "instant" product.
I gotcha. So you recommend adding bacteria now or what?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would do a 50% change, dose Prime, run Purigen, and I suppose BioSpira wouldn't hurt. Your livestock are putting out enough waste to provide them with a food source, but it's gonna be a tough run for you without daily changes. (The livestock are putting out more waste than the bacteria can run through the nitrogen cycle, so you're going to wind up in the same situation in another couple of days)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've said over and over again, Dr Tim's and other instant cycle additives don't work. They add bacteria to the water column which consume enough ammonia to fake you into thinking you've accomplished a cycle. Meanwhile NO bacteria actually get established on your rocks or sand bed to create a truly established BB colony. End result is you've been suckered into adding fish into a tank with very little bacteria resulting into the start of the true cycle.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I've said over and over again, Dr Tim's and other instant cycle additives don't work. They add bacteria to the water column which consume enough ammonia to fake you into thinking you've accomplished a cycle. Meanwhile NO bacteria actually get established on your rocks or sand bed to create a truly established BB colony. End result is you've been suckered into adding fish into a tank with very little bacteria resulting into the start of the true cycle.
+1

Imagine swimming in your septic tank or your town's intake pool at the sewage treatment plant. That's what these fish are going though right now.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

For info on how to cure your rock, which will also be the start of your cycle, BRS has a great video:
Curing Live Rock For Saltwater Aquariums - YouTube

There is also a good article here on using a cocktail shrimp to ensure a food source for your bacteria during the cure and cycle. If you can't or don't want to do that, household ammonia dosed to 4ppm daily will do the same.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com