HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phippsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I am after some advice having recently set up a new marine tank and being a novice to it. I set my tank up about a month ago (Juwel rio 125l ) and added a lees aquarium 50 gallon protein skimmer which is more than big enough for the capacity of my tank. I monitored the levels for about 3 weeks and then when they were stable added 2 clownfish and anemone. The anemone died within a couple of days which after reading through other posts on the net I realised that they were probably the wrong thing to stick in a new tank, but over the last week I have watched the tank slowly get browner inside. It has covered the sand all the rocks and the back wall. I don't know if this is normal it certainly never happened on my freshwater tank. I have been checking the levels every 2 days and they are all fine, and I am only feeding a small amount of frozen every 2 days. Can anyone suggest what this might be and how to fight it or will it eventually clear itself up???

Thanks

Chris

It's only brown diatom type algae. It is natural in a new setup. It will eventually go away as the better forms of algae take over. You can try to keep it under control with an algae scraper and a vacuum. But it will have to run its course. What kind of lighting did you have for the anemone and what kind of anemone was it? And it's probably too soon for an anemone anyways.

How long are your lights on? Too long could help add to the problem too I think. Otherwise, it sounds like diatoms, which I believe are normal for newer tanks anyway.

I was using a Marine blue with a daylight tube , but have just this evening removed the blue one. The lights do actually stay on for quite a while. I turn them on in the morning at about 8 when I leave for work and they go off at about 11 at night, do you think this is too long?? and to be honest im not too sure what the anemone was but the clownfish were living in it in the tank i purchased them from and was advised to buy it too

The best thing to do for lighting is to get yourself a timer for them. This way, it will be consistent each day so your livestock will become acustomed to it. From what I have read up on Anemone's is that they require strong lighting, and a mature tank of around 6 months. Diatoms are ugly, but as long as you maintain good water quality, and appropriate feeding it will eventually disappear. Good luck!

Mike

I'd recommend only 10 - 12 hrs daily for lights on periods. I turn mine on by timer at about 1pm. I feed when I get home in the evening and do my viewing then. Off at about midnite.

Right I'll purchase a timer for the lights then and thinking about it now your'e probably right I dont need to have the lights on in the day especially whilst im not in the house. Will the algae eventually just dissappear then or do you advise buying some algae eaters ie:turbo snails and claener shrimps because at the moment the tank just looks a complete mess

With the Coralife 4x65w retro, I have the actinics come on at 11:00am, the 10,000's come on at 2:00pm. The 10,000's go off at 10:00pm, and the actinics go off at 11:00pm. Waiting for my new MH 250W retro. Gotta get it in the timing mix as well. Oh Lord!

Mike

A small clean up crew would help. I woundn't use any chemicals to get rid of the diatoms. This will disappear in time with water changes, and as the tank matures. It can look pretty ugly in the beginning, but it will calm down. BTW, did you use tap water, or RO? This can make a difference in algae blooms as well.

Mike

I was undecided on what to use but after speaking to friend who had set one previously I decided to use tap water and treat it with dechlorinator.

Tap water is different everywhere you go. My tap water here is terrible, and very hard. I have to use an RO/DI system to get quality water for the tank. I tried tap in the beginning, but it only led to diatom break-outs all the time, and higher nitrate levels. It took forever to cycle out the tap, and constant cleanings. After getting the RO/DI system my tank has become very clear and stable. I am not sure what you have available there, but I know on Ebay they sell them for pretty cheap.

Mike

The ntirate level in my tank is currntly at 10. Looking back it would have been better to use RO do you think a complete water change would be a good call or should I just battle through it and continue with water changes until it clears up because I've been told that setting up a RO system can be a bit of a nightmare

Maybe let the cycle period break in first. With each water change you do, use RO water. Eventually it will be cycled out. It takes a while though. I must say when I set up my RO system in my kitchen, I flooded the floor a couple of times because of the pressure I had. :oops: After getting a new fitting from Home Depot, it was fixed. All in all it took about 2 hours to setup. I am no plumber by any means! It is worth it though, even if you have to pay someone $50.00 to install it for you.

Mike

Right then I'll defo put RO water in the tank next time I do a new water change but I'll wait a while before setting up my own system Im sure that I can buy RO water from a shop near me, anyway thanks for your advice and hopefully my tank will start looking better soon

Cheers :D

Back
Top Bottom