Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer4378 View Post

Everything has been perfect for 1 1/2 mo. and within this last week the diatoms went crazy....
No real answer for ya, but just a comment regarding the above quote...

When you first start up a tank, it takes months for a tank's parameters to even out. In reality, until you stop adding livestock, you tank is continually trying stabilize. Think of it as a really out-of-whack cruise control on a car that is going up and down hills - it really can never establish a stable speed. That's a lot like our tanks.

So the first thing to help solve the algae issue is to not assume that everything has been "perfect" for the first 45 days since cycling. In reality, your tank was just trying to figure things out. Algae (or cyanobacteria, as some of that appears to be) doesn't happen overnight. So don't knock yourself out trying to figure out "what changed" to make this happen... most likely it was happening all along but just took a month or two to become apparent.

When fighting algae issues, nitrate/phosphate readings will often read zero because the algae is consuming those nutrients as soon as they're produced. But they're there, or you wouldn't have algae issues. The fact that it sounds like your skimmer is producing quite a bit of skimmate kind of points to excess nutrients, since I wouldn't expect much from just two fish in a 150g system.

Are you feeding the coral anything? If so, what... and what are the corals?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tend to agree with Kurt here. Cyano was my thinking as well and it will build itself up over time and before you realize it your sand is covered. During that time you probably will get very low readings on phosphate and nitrate. When I upgraded to my 120 I dealt with the same issues for a while and what I did was siphon out a lot of my sand bed during weekly pwcs. (the top of the sand with the cyano in it) Since you are using RO/DI you may want to test your TDS before and after the RO/DI and see what you get. When I was going through this I tested my source water, my pure RO/DI water and then my newly mixed water to see if I was adding anything to the tank during PWCs.

What kind of flow do you have in the tank? I saw what looked like a koralia in one of your pics, how many do you have in there? I found that increasing the total flow of my tank helped to keep any detritus in the water column so it could be pulled out via my skimmer. I have 4520gph flow in my tank. Also keep in mind that you did recently change something you added the MH bulbs to the system a month ago, sometimes the changes we make take more time then others to cause issues or at least present issues. The addition of that light could have triggered the cyano to go into overdrive.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all.

I have tested for copper and it is 0.
I have done all the before and after tests on my ro system and everything is great.
I would agree with extra nutrients being the cause but I feed every 3rd day ( formula 2 pellets ) just enough till nemo stops eating.

I dont feed the corals.
1 Frogspawn
1 Mushroom - ricordea - green
2 10+ zoos
1 star polyp

I have a chunk of seaweed in the corner for the yellow tang to nip at.

I have 4 powerheads totaling about 4200gph in the tank and 1200gph running to sump..( it has been a pain in the arse to get the powerheads set right to not blow the sand around.

I will do another pwc tomorrow, I still have the water circulating today.
heres a pic of my skimmer and a whole shot of the tank, parts of the sand look white but its from the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2567.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	18354   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2576.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	18355  

Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont want to cut out the light all together because of the coral but I have cut my T5's down to 5 hrs and the MH to 3 hrs.

Where else can the nutrients be coming from besides pwc and feeding? if anywhere.

I will have to agree with excess nutrients since I have a heavy growth of feather dusters and started to get some pinapple sponges.

My RO/DI system is only 2 mo old and I have a TDS meter on it which is 0.
I have only used Reef Crystals and keep it at 1026
I feed every 3 days.

The only things that have changed are the new MH a mo ago and the various times I have rearranged the powerheads.

I'm going to do another pwc and vacuum out as much as I can, and I have cut the lighting down, so hopefully I will see a change sometime soon.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The new lights may be the cause for the new growth. If that is the case, keep up with the PWCs and in about a month you should be good.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I missed it in there somewhere, but Sadielynn was wondering what kind of sand you used when you set up your tank? Was it sand specifically meant for aquariums or did you use play sand?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

White Fiji sand from online.
This is what it looked like the day I put it in (after it settled of course).
Theres a little over 3" in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2188.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	18365  
Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Phosphates/Nitrate can be misleading since ALgea eat this it is usally higher then kit is showing thats one problem

This usually happens once your done cycling since nutrients are high, One thing that will help you is to use a phosban reactor with Rowaphos, I put money on it you have phosphates.

A good thing to get if you dont have is a Tiger Tail Cucumber, Nassarius snails(30 in that size tank)

Tiger tail will sure help you
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do have a phosban reactor on the tank.

Everything seems right but something is still off, and as far as I have figured, it must be due to the 500W of my that I put in a mo. ago- thanks roka, and everyone else for your time and patience.

Due to work, I will not get to my Pwc till tomorrow but I will keep y'all posted.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Was your sand dry when you got it or was it "live sand"?

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com