Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP! Lots of maggots like / "micro bugs" like things on tank wall and in water!

I just got home from a 2 day weekend trip, found my tank wall has LOTS of maggots looking / micro bugs all over, there's a lot floating in the water too. i think there might be hundreds if not thousands of them in my tank.

and the algae are almost completely gone, besides some hair looking ones on the LR and the feather duster tube.

maybe the maggots ate all the algae?

Why am i getting these things? They are so GROSS! omg.
How can I get rid of them?
Should I do a full water change?

I'm pretty sure overfeeding has been a problem for my tank, and I got too busy last week haven't got a chance to change the water for a week.

now i found my skimmer is clogged too, just took it out and cleaned it up it's working again.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big are they? Could be copepods.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #3

not sure if they are copepods, i have never seen this kind of creature in my tanks before.

they are about ~1-2mm in length, very very small. smaller than ants.

i have to look real close to the tank to see they are actually "live", at first i thought it was just some white spots on my tank (hundreds of them together look like white spots)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like coepods. Get a Sixline Wrasse. Jokes, I think they will take care of themselves. Just a population boom.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

So it's ok to leave them like that? The water is so cloudy now because of these things. What causes these things to grow all of a sudden?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

to much food, to much food, to much food...lol
What kind of fishes do you have?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Look at these and see if you see them

Xtalreef

You Can't Tell Your "Pods" Without A Program by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #8

the closest that matches those are "copepods", but i can't really see if they have legs or tails on them, they are just too small.

there's also a star looking thing on the glass, it kind of matches "ASTERINA STARS", it just appeared recently.

i have 1 clown, 1 blue tang, 1 box fish and some corals.

will too much left over food cause this? i just did 50% water change today and cleaned up the tank a bit, noticed some left over food rotting behind the rocks.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #9

another thing i forgot to mention, before i left, i fed some "phytoplankton" to the tank, is this the source?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Copepods aren't really anything to be concerned about. They come and go depending on nutrients and whether or not your fish snack on them. I can see mine "swarming" around in the protected nooks and crannies of my tank and occasionally on the glass. You can think of them as free food for your fish!

I don't really know if their population is effected by extra food, but I'm sure it helps keep them multiplying. Phytoplankton isn't the source, but like the extra food I'm sure it helps keep them multiplying. Phytoplankton itself doesn't really feed fish or coral, but it feeds the stuff that fish and coral eat - it's the first step of a food chain that's normally missing from our tanks.

Tags
bug, micro, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com