Help me AA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugginns

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK- so I went to purchase my LR. Actually my girlfriend picked it up from this guy who was taking down his tank. My LR she picked up -

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1383941698&size=l

as you can see, lots of growth on them, pretty cool.

The guy sends along another box of stuff-

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1383941676&size=l

Now, these are corals, but I know 0 about corals and i haven't researched them. I didn't plan on getting any until I read about them a bunch.

Are they alive? Dead? Worth putting in my tank? Any ID?

(I didn't really search or anything yet- just looking for some advice)

While I'm no expert on how long corals can stay alive out of water (I don't see any water in those tubs), I'm thinking if the guy put them in the tub without water then they're dead.

Regarding the live rock, get that in salt water soon if you don't want a lot of die off. Also, some of those rocks have little green bubbles on them. You don't want that algae in your tank - scrub those bubbles off the rocks before you put them in water.

Kurt_Nelson said:
While I'm no expert on how long corals can stay alive out of water (I don't see any water in those tubs), I'm thinking if the guy put them in the tub without water then they're dead.

Regarding the live rock, get that in salt water soon if you don't want a lot of die off. Also, some of those rocks have little green bubbles on them. You don't want that algae in your tank - scrub those bubbles off the rocks before you put them in water.

Ah, they were out of water for about an hour and a half. They were covered in paper towel that was wet with some water in the tub.

You will be OK putting them in your tank. You`ll need to make sure you dont have a mini cycle from any die off from when the rock was out of the water. In the second pic the coral is dead skeletons. They are OK for decoration in the tank.

melosu58 said:
You will be OK putting them in your tank. You`ll need to make sure you dont have a mini cycle from any die off from when the rock was out of the water. In the second pic the coral is dead skeletons. They are OK for decoration in the tank.

Ok. I don't think I'm actually going to put them in then. They take up a lot of space.

They would be excellent for a seahorse tank. Give them something to wrap their tails around. Good Luck.

Update: here's the rock in the tank with my new light.

1387469931_69db79bab9_b.jpg

1387469919_b563ddcdf9_b.jpg

1387469915_87683f6b7d_b.jpg

1387469909_723c6d06a1_b.jpg

1387469899_647d2d3c38_b.jpg

1387469889_8732198231_b.jpg

Looks really good. Great coraline and and some nice hitchhikers.

the LR looks great! The corals on the other hand look like they are toast. Looks like you have lots of life left on the LR. Keep an eye on water parameters and be ready to do a water change if needed.

I agree with the rest and you did an excellent job of aquascaping!

Looks great. One thing to watch out for is the bubble algae (it's the green stuff on the rock on the far right of the first pick you posted). You can pull out the rock and remove the algae carefully, but if you'd like to leave it in there, emerald crabs will eliminate it effectively. Looks like a great start though.

You do have an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kit, right? If not, need one right away to see what's happening with those dead, dying corals.

austinsdad said:
You do have an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kit, right? If not, need one right away to see what's happening with those dead, dying corals.

I actually did a test yesterday, everything is doing well. I found a hitchhiker crab in one piece of rock - looks like a sally lightfoot I think. Black with white bands.

austinsdad said:
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/sally-lightfoot-crab---percnon-planissimum-inverts--crabs.html

Here's the Sally Lightfoot. Hopefully to confirm whatcha got. Very flat body.

Hopefully when you say "well", there are no (zero) ammonia or nitrite readings. What is the nitrate btw?

Nitrate was between 0 and 5, likely 1 or 2 ppm, the other to were 0.

Some update pics

Shrooms
1410590326_f26b6a36c4_o.jpg

Zoas
1410590254_27310a2fff_o.jpg

Inno said this was galaxae
1410590130_e40d0a829c_o.jpg

The only coral I've put in the tank, I believe this is a zoa
1409708553_73996e706d_o.jpg

Shrooms - the one in the bottom left has moved up to get more light
1410589946_ddaf5ba1d1_o.jpg

Devilishturtles said:
Very nice pictures. All of those corals were already on the rock? Great deal.

Right except for the one zoa I got from the guy who I bought my lights from. I'm impressed, they're doing well.

Back
Top Bottom