Help me get started =]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashleekbrain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm really just looking for a few fish in a little tank for my desk but I don't want boring goldfish! Can someone tell me my options =]?

Hey preferably fresh water but from what I can tell those fish aren't as interesting haha!

I haven't bought the tank yet. I want a smallish one. Something that will fit on a desk in my bedroom =]

You'd be verrrry limited with saltwater on how much fish you could keep. A ten gallon(about a foot and a half) can only home 2 maybe 3 fish.
And its considered more challenging the smaller the tank is in saltwater . Id do freshwater if you're a begginner. Its less expensive too. There are plenty of Amazing freshwater fish you just gotta look a little harder

I'm think she;s thinking a tiny tank, like a fluval spec or something like that. Those are perfect desk top tanks. If that's the case I think freshwater is gonna be her best bet. I wouldnt want a 10g tank sittingon my desk lol

Assuming you're still undecided on fresh/salt, I prefer a planted freshwater tank any day. Get a tank like a fluval spec or similar, get plants/shrimp and a few fish.(Betta is a cool option especially if you get a less common color pattern, but definitely not your only option.)

Haha yeah you're right just a really little tank that I can just have two fish. Just wanna know what fish I could consider and will I still need a filter and if a tropical fish will I need a heater and stuff?

They sell great little 5 gallon kits that come with filters at petco or petsmart.
And you don't really need a heater if the room is temperature controlled by ac or a heater. Just as long as the room temp stays the same bc with that small amount of water the temp will fluctuate easier.
And yes you need a filter for any fish.

Those tanks are all great! Perfect for what I'm looking for. I'm in Perth though and I think were pretty limited with stuff like this...
What kind of fish could I get for that?

I would say for a desk, a Beta would be one of your safest and prettiest choices. They are beutiful, very easy to care for and don't need much of a tank. My wife used to have one in a glass vase with plants growing out the top. A coworker gave it to her and she kept it for years. That Beta was her baby. :)

I agree, a bbetta would be beautiful in one of those tanks. If you wantd you could probably get a few micro fish. I'm more saltwater so I;m not up on the sizes and types of micro fish.

Have you heard of african dwarf frogs? IMO, they are very easy and a pair can live comfortably in a 5 gallon tank with a betta. I think that they are interesting.

Back
Top Bottom