Help! My tank is dieing...grrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... I guess Im still trying to find exact causes so it doesnt happen again in the future. I totally get the bioload thing, but I havent had any issues with ammonia at all ...

I think it's safe to say that with your initial "welcome to the hobby" experience, it won't happen again - assuming you stock your new tank at reasonable stocking levels. I think you've learned too much to let it happen again!

Bioload isn't just an ammonia thing. That's the obvious sign, but there's also the aspect that you can't put any exact numbers to and that's overcrowding. Overcrowding a tank is going to stress fish out. They all need their little places to call home, relax, and chill. If they're constantly being harassed, constantly running for their lives, and can never establish a "routine", then stress is going to start causing health issues. If the stress level in the tank is so high, they might not be able to eat. If left to its own, a tank will "naturally" even out the bioload... which I think yours did. Three fish is still too many for a long-term situation in my book, but its sure better than eight, and I think with fewer inhabitants (especially the damsel), your tank will finally be able to have some peace.

I know you only had a hydrometer so you really don't know what the salinity was when that water change happened. Even so, whatever the salinity was, you added 1 gallon of freshwater to 9 gallons of saltwater. Math is math, and that is a huge shift in salinity in a matter of seconds, regardless of the initial salinity levels. I'm guessing the pH took a huge shift for a while also, until it balanced out again. Just saying that even though the salinity levels themselves weren't known *for sure*, the change in those levels were.

While it really stinks what happened to you and these fish, I really can't imagine you're going to make the same mistake again. I bet a year down the road, you're going to have one killer reef tank - especially if you go with one of those NeoNanos!

Oooh thanks! I think some things are starting to "click".

Bioload isn't just an ammonia thing. That's the obvious sign, but there's also the aspect that you can't put any exact numbers to and that's overcrowding.
Oh, gotchya! I guess that makes sense. Especially because now that all the fish are gone, the 2 firefish are coming out more and I rarely got to see them before.

Three fish is still too many for a long-term situation in my book, but its sure better than eight
Think I should get rid of more? I am debating the firefish. Especially since I am getting a shallow rimless tank. They are pretty cool fish though. The other fish in there is a gold striped cleaner goby.

For future reference, do corals not count as bioload? Ive seen a lot of tanks with not many fish but tons of corals! What about inverts?

Even so, whatever the salinity was, you added 1 gallon of freshwater to 9 gallons of saltwater.
I actually forgot all about that! Im now keeping a log of everything I do.

While it really stinks what happened to you and these fish, I really can't imagine you're going to make the same mistake again. I bet a year down the road, you're going to have one killer reef tank - especially if you go with one of those NeoNanos!
Yeah, no doubt! This has been a very rough (and expensive) lesson learned. I think I know most of what I plan to get now and of course everything Ive picked is SO pricey! But I think it will make for a very sweet tank.

Im still debating on whether or not to call Zamzows headquarters about it. It just seems cruel for them to keep doing that (he was cycling another tank the last time I went in). It was a lot of unneccesary deaths. :(

Okay all, another update...I just want to make sure you all agree with the advice I was given.

Went back to the LFS (not the one I bought the tank from, but the other). We tested our kits together. He wasn't testing it right. He wasn't shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds like the directions said (API test kit). We did one test his way which showed zero nitrates, then we did the test per the directions and it showed 80 nitrates....so wanted to mention that for any newbies to know how important it is to follow the directions and not always trust the LFS! And he showed me the phosphates (I dont have that in my kit but bought one) which were at the very high end (I forget the number).

One of his customers came in who has been doing this a long time and here is what they thought I should do.

They think the tank is cycling again, probably because the sand got stirred up when I brought the tank home. He thinks I should still do a lot of water changes, but do very small ones...like half a gallon or so everyday. He told me to keep the chaeto in there and also gave me some carbon to go in a bag and put that in the tank. He said beyond that, I just have to let the tank run it's course until bacteria grows enough to handle it all.

As far as the 3 remaining fish and the feather duster worm...he said it's a toss up. I could bring them to the store, but there might be a big shock going from my tank to what's in the store. But leaving them may kill them as well so it's really 50/50. Its kind of a drive for me to get there so he suggested I just leave them.

He can't believe the feather duster is still alive. Im telling ya'll...that worm is a beast! This is him right now....

img_1097944_0_d25b68e322506223517e06b91a4f0884.jpg

So do you all agree that's what I should do? Minor water changes daily and just let things go?

I have a few more newbie questions I hope ya'll don't mind me asking. Im asking here because I know other newbies are reading and might as well keep it all in one place.

My firefish are breathing heavy now which means the nitrates are getting to them. I expected it, but I did see this article and want to make sure I shouldn't bother doing it.

How to Reduce High Toxic Nitrates Quickly & Efficiently

1. Am I understanding that article right? It basically looks like one giant water change done over a few minutes and they just matched the PH (and I assume the salinity).

2. If the tank is recycling again, wouldn't doing what's in that article just prolong the cycle?

3. Is it worth shocking the fish to try that or just leave it alone and let nature take it's course.

4. When you start a new tank and do the normal cycle, what is it that takes the nitrates back down to 0? Is it the bacteria growth? And is that why you add fish in slowly; so that bacteria has time to grow to counteract the nitrates? (Just trying to understand the cycle better.)

5. In the future, when you add in corals to a tank, do they add to the bioload just like fish do? Do you have to limit the number of them in a tank?

Okay, first I would do a normal...small PWC, second the water colume has very little bacteria in it. Most of your bacteria are in your sand and LR.
The only way to reduce nitrates in the normally setup AQ is through PWC's.
The reason you are told to add fish slowly is to give your good bacteria a chance to catchup to the new bio-load. corals add little to the bio-load of your tank.

Gotchya....so when you cycle a brand new tank, what is it that takes the nitrates back to 0?

I just read that article you posted, I am not to sure a newbie should attempt this as to much could go wrong. You might get the temp. wrong, the salinity wrong, you might not age the new water long enough and so on. It is best to do the water changes like you normally do even if it does take longer to reduce the nitrate level.

Last edited:
Gotchya....so when you cycle a brand new tank, what is it that takes the nitrates back to 0?

Water changes.

Normal process is to cycle the tank with nothing living in it. At the end of the cycle, when ammonia and nitrites have spiked and dropped back to zero, you'll have some amount of nitrates in the water. Since there isn't anything living in the tank, you do very large (like 50% to 75%) water changes... not worrying about matching salinity, temp, pH... anything. You keep doing this until your nitrate levels are where you want to start things with, because you'll probably never get them this low again! So preferably, you do water changes until you can't test for anymore nitrates.

Nitrates are normally considered the last step in the nitrification process. Ammonia turns to nitrites, and nitrites turn to nitrates. And then you do water changes to gete rid of the nitrates. If you have oxygen-deprived areas of your tank that harbor yet another type of bacteria, then you can convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas and it will bubble out of your tank. This normally occurs in "deep sand beds", or in other types of setups that use special media to take the nitrates out of the water. Probably beyond what you're wanting to deal with now, but file it away to look into for that new tank.

Bioload, as we're talking here, is pretty much always referring to just fish - things that will create "food" (ammonia) for your beneficial bacteria. Coral doesn't mess with your beneficial bacteria one way or another. Once you get to a certain quantity of coral, it will start to mess with your water parameters though - specifically your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels. It will draw those things (and others) out of the water to grow, and those things need to be replenished. That's either done with those same water changes you're doing for the nitrates, or by adding supplements ("2-part solutions") to keep those levels constant. Depending on your coral stocking levels, and the brand of salt you use, normal water changes can often keep up with the demand from the coral. Another good reason for water changes.

Sorry... more info that you need right now, but figured I'd get it out there so you have more info to digest!

Regarding the fish gasping... not sure if nitrates at 80 is enough to really cause breathing problems, but I've never experienced high nitrates so I don't have any first hand info. Like thincat mentioned, I wouldn't recommend massive water changes. I'm sure you've heard the saying by now, something to the effect of "Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank.", meaning be patient and don't expect results overnight. I've also looked at that saying to mean don't make rash decisions or do anything quick in a saltwater tank. There are very few things that need immediate action.

You can safely do 25% water changes every other day, which will take that 80ppm nitrates down to under 20ppm in 4 water changes. You could probably do that 25% every day - as long as you match the temperature and salinity pretty well.

[Edit: Just read that article you linked to. I definitely would NOT try this. One little bit that they casually gloss over is that part where they talk about adjusting the pH in the old water to match the new incoming water. What they don't mention is that this pH adjustment process in itself, can really screw things up. It is really hard to raise pH and keep it there without really messing things up. They also compare nitrate in fish to carbon monoxide in humans. Just my opinion, but from my reading, this is not a fair comparison. Nitrates, at levels "normally" found in our tanks, are not toxic to fish. It's better if it's not there, but it's not going to kill them outright like CO can with humans. If, as they mention in the article, you've let your tank go unmaintained for that long that your nitrates are out of control, then what does it hurt to slowly lower them over the course of a couple weeks as you do smaller water changes? Yes... it's inefficient - but it's way way safer.]

Awesome! Thanks so much. :) (I thought that article seemed off.)

I've done 5 water changes now and the wierd thing is the nitrates havent lowered one teensy bit. Hmmm, I'll test this RO saltwater I keep bringing home to see what's in it. Otherwise I'll keep going slow and see how we are over the next week.

That wasn't overkill on the info. Im still researching for the new tank and you just filled in a bunch of holes I wasnt quite grasping.

Today's update:

Regarding nitrates, it's possible mine are off the charts. It's hard for me to tell because it's so red and the last 2 colors on the card are very red. Ive done 5 water changes now and it hasnt dropped at all so Im guessing it might be off the charts. I will continue to change water. Doing 4 cups in morning and 4 cups in evening everyday.

No more deaths yet. Firefish still breathing hard and I think Bubba the trubo snail is dieing *sob* he has barely moved since yesterday. Superworm still open and as if I have perfect water...little freak, lol.

I also tested the LFS RO/DI saltwater that I'm using, and it was good. :)

The LFS guy said lights being on too long can cause high phosphates. Since I have no corals, should I just leave the lights off for a while or does the feather duster need them?

... Ive done 5 water changes now and it hasnt dropped at all so Im guessing it might be off the charts. I will continue to change water. Doing 4 cups in morning and 4 cups in evening everyday.

OK... that's why your nitrates aren't changing. A 4 cup water change on a 10g tank is only 2.5%. So let's say your nitrates are at 80ppm. After the 4 cup water change, assuming your new water is nitrate-free, your nitrates are going to be 78 ppm. Unless you're testing electronically, you're not going to see that change. Stepping those changes up to 1 or 2 gallons each time will start giving you some results.

...and I think Bubba the trubo snail is dieing *sob* he has barely moved since yesterday.
Unfortunately, that was probably in the cards. A turbo in a 10g - even full of algae - would probably starve pretty quick. They are great hair algae eaters, but because they're so big they do have an appetite.

I also tested the LFS RO/DI saltwater that I'm using, and it was good. :)
Always good to do. At least you can rule out the nitrates coming in through your "good" water.

The LFS guy said lights being on too long can cause high phosphates. Since I have no corals, should I just leave the lights off for a while or does the feather duster need them?

Not sure how lighting can cause high phosphates. I'd be interested in hearing how exactly that works. As far as I know, phosphates can come from source water, food, poor quality carbon (activated charcoal), or leaching from your rocks in certain conditions. Excessive lighting can give algae in your tank additional "food" to convert those phosphates into growth, but the lighting itself isn't causing phosphates to appear. The feather duster doesn't need lights, but it's not causing your phosphate issue.

I just started the smaller ones. I was doing 1 gallon changes but that literally took out about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tanks water so I got scared and stopped. I think the rocks take up a lot of room making less water (probably doesnt help). Ill go back to the bigger ones.

What about the lights?

Leave the lights on like you have them. It will give your snails something to eat(algae growth). Like Kurt I would like to hear how it affects P03?

Heck if I know, that's just what they told me, lol. I'll leave em on during the day then. ;)

I've never heard of lights creating phosphates. The longer the lights are on the more time algae/cyano has to utilize the phosphates in the water, maybe that is what he was getting at.

As far as I know, phosphates come from fish food, rotting organic matter, or phosphates that have been absorbed into substrate/LR and are being released over time.

+1 for that. Please don't stay away from LFS's. Krypt and I may not have anything to do If we can't correct misinformation...;)

Last edited:
Well dagnabbit!

Okay, took some tests again and was happy to see my nitrates and phosphates finally dropping. But now my ammonia shot up.

Salinity=1.024
Temp=77.3
Nitrite=0
PH=8.4
Phosphate=5
Nitrate=40
Ammonia=1

My ammonia has stayed at 0. And it has been 0 the last few days (checking daily). Why would it change so drammatically in less than 24 hours? It's possible a firefish died but hard to tell since they don't come out much. I did see both yesterday so Im wondering if I should move rocks and start looking. I haven't seen anything new die in a while.

Can ammonia come from another cause or do I need to go digging around? What do I do to correct ammonia? Is it water changes as well or something else?

And lastly...dang, if my ammonia can jump that fast (1 is deadly, right?) is there anypoint in keeping a 10g tank? It's been less than 24 hours since I last checked the tank.

Back
Top Bottom