Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Help on sump and fuge

Alright so if I have an overflow with 2 u-tubes say about 800gph drain to my sump. Can my sump just be a protein skimmer spot because I heard if u had bio balls or a sponge cleaner, that it might cause nitrate problems? And can I have a uv sterilizer in my sump? And should what gph return pump should I use? Like How fast? And I heard I should have my sump go to my refugium? (I have to have sump and fuge separate cause of my low wacky stand with lots of legs). Thanks for all help!

Fishking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah you can have just your skimmer and heater in there. on a reef bioballs are not recomemnded. natural filtration is best in a reef so LR and micro algaes in a fuge. flow rate should be around the same ratign as your skimmer pump, but a general rule of thumb is about 5 times the full system, so a 150g wit ha 50g sump/fugewhould have a pump that can do about 1000 gph.

a UV sterilizer is really a waste of money, unless you have a serious ich problem

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes you can have a UV sterilizer in your sump and it does help with nitrates and algae buildup. I am glad I bought one. It is not a waste of money.
dlsrks is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com