Help with 100 gallon stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well actually your wrong tangs and butterfly are reef safe except some but all the fish I want are reef safe and the shrimp I want in the tank is not eaten by the fish, they eat a shrimp starting with a m don't remember the exact name. Also the lionfish and eel are only for a couple weeks unless there's no victims then ill keep then longer plus I'm going to get the smallest lion and eel I can get.

Fishfreak1 said:
Well actually your wrong tangs and butterfly are reef safe except some but all the fish I want are reef safe and the shrimp I want in the tank is not eaten by the fish, they eat a shrimp starting with a m don't remember the exact name. Also the lionfish and eel are only for a couple weeks unless there's no victims then ill keep then longer plus I'm going to get the smallest lion and eel I can get.

Tangs are reef safe but are prone to ich and most need bigger tank

Butterfly fish are not reef safe, foxface butterflies are though.

The hawk fish and grouper and probably lion and eel will eat your shrimp.

Mysis shrimp is a food but I have seen a hawk fish and a grouper gobble up a few cleaners.

Fishfreak1 said:
Angle

Clownfish
Anthias
Blenny
Basslet
Butterfly
Starcki
Dottyback
Golden dwarf moray (maybe)
Firefish
Goby
Grouper
Hawkfish
Jawfish
Pygmy angle
Wrasse
Tang
Shrimp
Worm fish
And maybe a lionfish
Note the eel and lionfish will only be in there for a couple weeks to see how it goes if everything is good ill keep them.

From there I would minus the lion fish . Eel needs to go to. It's not going to work out with the fish you want.

Ill rethink some of those then but I'm probably getting fox face, isn't it a butterfly (family) that's the one I was thinking of
Four striped damsel
Hippo tang
Yellow tang

I really want an eel or lion in there even if it just looks like one or the other. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry, but if you're wanting a reef safe and invert safe fish, your choices will be narrowed down dramatically. I had to rethink my stock list for my 70 so many times. Each time I had a favorite fish that I wanted there was always stories of how it can eat small fish or inverts...fish that would seem completely peaceful. But I'm glad I researched the real behavior before experiencing it first hand. I really don't recommend you getting a damsel, they are very aggressive even with fish bigger than them.

A quite docile fish, yet beautiful IMO, is a purple firefish. Or you could have a trio of zebra dartfish. Royal grammas look like some dottybacks and are less aggressive. They are a basslet too, so you can't have two, if say you wanted a chalk bass you couldn't have both. I won't be the tank police, but there are going to be people who are going to highly discourage from getting a tang that grows over a foot, let alone 2.

Garden eels are for experts really, they are very shy and not like other type of eels. Usually best in groups or species tank. I've seen them put in a tank with seahorses...that's how delicate they are! And 3-4 inches won't be a good setup for them, neither will the super aggressive fish you want to keep them with.

I know that's why I asked is there a similar species that's like them but not as sensitive and looks similar to an eel or garden eel or a lionfish

There's the blue spot sanddiver or the yellow stripe clingfish that have that eelish look, but those are pretty much for experts too...A midas blenny would be an awesome addition and they move in an eel-like fashion.

Maybe a cardinal? A watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair? Just throwing out some ideas.

Guys I just found a fish friendly eel it's called a chainlink moray eel which is fish friendly but can't be with hawkfish groupers frog fish trigger or puffers or they will eat him

Closest to an eel would be an engineer goby. They really look like eels. Look up adult engineer goby and it'll look slot like a snowflake eel. Give me a second and I'll post my planned stocking list for my 90 it is gonna have a low bioload so I can possibly add a couple more fish later on. So this will give you a sort of guideline.

Scooter blenny
True perc
Blue green chromis x3
Engineer goby
Foxface Lo
Bangaii cardinal x2
Reef safe wrasse

Yours could probably have a couple more bigger fish. 3-4 medium fish OR like 6 smaller fish. Be warned adding small shrimp like pistol shrimp with the engineer goby

I'm gonna go with 17 fish to start with then get 13 more and a couple inverts and the chainlink moray eel will be my last addition.

I'm going to have about 40 fish in my tank (this includes 10-12 inverts)

Ummm...... Just warning you. 97% of the time. That will not work. I'm sure if you try hard enough you can find a couple cases where that has worked but your system will most likely crash if you did this. This is not freshwater, saltwater fish need more room are wu more sensitive to being cramped and water conditions and everything else. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe! That MIGHT work if they were all nano fog but even then I wouldn't suggest it.

Absolute max and it's pushin it I'd say 20 fish. An I KNOW 20 of the fish your thinking of puttin in there wouldn't work.

40 fish and inverts is insane. Even 17 is too much. That will be an overstocked tank. 40 fish is would be good for maybe 400 gallons! That is IMO too much of an ambitious wish list. The chain link is an eel and it's listed as semi-aggressive still. There is always the risk that at night it could eat a shrimp or small fish when it gets the opportunity. Eels are nearly blind, so that is instinct...to go after prey. Go by the rule 2-5 gallons per 1" of adult fish. Petco says 2 and I think LA says 5 (and I wouldn't take advice from Petco...). For example, that makes it to be around 12, 4 inch fish or some sites would suggest 9 four inch fish max. Please consider how much of a bioload this will have on the system and how it is possible for the bacteria to keep up with it. Also how these fish will be so crowded that they'll probably become more aggressive than usual. Not to mention all the food that would be needed to feed them resulting in lots of nitrates. I would suggest rethinking the stock list to include about 12 fish max (depending on size more or less).

Heck no I'm not paying $1500 just for the tank and equipment to have 12 fish. Lots of people say my tanks are overstocked but all my fish and filters are fine and I change my tank water once a month and all parameters are fine. I have 12 tanks 7 20 gallon tanks each have 18 fish that are at least 3 in each. Also I have 3 40 gallon marine tanks which have 20 fish and 5 inverts. I also have 2 55gallon tanks with 35 fish and 10 inverts. All my marine tank fish are 2-3inches. Now I want to have a 100 gallon tank to have at least 20 5 inch fish 1 full grown eel 28 in and 15 inverts.

Back
Top Bottom