Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
I'm actually an electrician and in my opinion it's not an issue. Everything electrical puts out an "induced voltage" and or magnetic field. Equipment used in the hobby is insulated to prevent shocks. My suspicion is that your tang has ick or thrashed into some rock or something. Its also possible your parameters are off or the temperature. Electrical burns wouldn't cause little spots, plus in order to actually cause a burn you would have to apply alot more voltage and current than 1 volt. If your still concerned relocate your heater to your sump or filter. As far as gfci receptacle go they are never a bad idea especially when water is near by. Just be sure to hook a ground wire up or the gfci won't operate properly.
Thank you, I just had a long discussion with my husband who basically told me the info you did. So less than 1 volt is fine, and it doesn't mean there is a current. He said if the gfi worked it would only shut off quicker and not necessarily prevent me from dying, lol. So he will install one for me so I don't get as electrocuted as I could be.

The tang is now still completely acting normal again and the clowns, well they are clowns. I will post pics on my tank page because I can see spots at a certain angle in the light.

What a great lesson in electricity!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, and heater is already in sump.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

it doesn't matter which lead you have in the water and which one you don't have. as well it doesn't hatter if there is stray voltages in the water as there is no path to ground so there is not way of the fish gettign a shock. they are at teh same potential as the water.

when i saw the whole stray voltages thing while googling T5HOs before i came across this and had to laugh. beign an electrician i know how electricity flows. if we are workign with live power we often will take a mat and place it under our feet, then we will take a lead from the live lines and ground it to the mat. this make it so we are the same potencial as the like lines resulting in no current (amp) transfer through our bodies.

the same thing is happening with the fish tank and stray voltages, or as they are know to us as eddi currentsin a fish tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereli View Post
As far as GFI...i am almost certain it will not trip with stray voltages. Just current. I would definitely add one either way. it can save you in worst case scenario if properly working.
a GFI won't trip unless it senses a loss in current from the live side to the neutral size, if there is a difference in amperage by .05amps it will trip, thats where its enough amperace to kill a person or atleast do serious harm to a persons heart
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
it doesn't matter which lead you have in the water and which one you don't have. as well it doesn't hatter if there is stray voltages in the water as there is no path to ground so there is not way of the fish gettign a shock. they are at teh same potential as the water.

when i saw the whole stray voltages thing while googling T5HOs before i came across this and had to laugh. beign an electrician i know how electricity flows. if we are workign with live power we often will take a mat and place it under our feet, then we will take a lead from the live lines and ground it to the mat. this make it so we are the same potencial as the like lines resulting in no current (amp) transfer through our bodies.

the same thing is happening with the fish tank and stray voltages, or as they are know to us as eddi currentsin a fish tank.

a GFI won't trip unless it senses a loss in current from the live side to the neutral size, if there is a difference in amperage by .05amps it will trip, thats where its enough amperace to kill a person or atleast do serious harm to a persons heart
Leo, I was hoping you would have chimed in early and saved me this stress all day thinking I was cooking my fish, lol! I knew you would know the answers. My husband didn't laugh at me although he looked like he wanted to, maybe he is learning...hmmm.

So I don't need to rush out and get an MP40 or new pump for the sump, or heater (it is a glass jaeger).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

no tehre is no need to rush and get anything, there will always be stray voltages, thats how motors work, even magnetic motors. they all have a rotating magnetic field which is caused by induction. what you have to worry about is if those eletrical parts short out in the water, that will cause a current transfer killing everything living in the water columb.

sorry for the delay, i was at work and today isn't really a good day so my girlfriend has been tryign to cool me down all day :P
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Darn,
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol did you want that to be an excuse to buy new toys?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
lol did you want that to be an excuse to buy new toys?
Wouldn't hurt to have a reason!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol who needs a reason to treat your pets to a gifty
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO I would use a grounding probe to assure any stray or otherwise unwanted current is drawn away from your tank. As a EM tech I have seen a stray AC voltage of 1 volt cause intermittent problems with the systems I work on. While a GFI is a great safety device, but it won't protect against a leaky motor or heater unless it's a direct short to ground.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com