Hermit Crab problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemacros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added a hermit crab (don't know what kind - LFS don't know either - I live in Malaysia it's often like that here...lol) into my reef tank. It does an excellent job of cleaning up but after a few days I had to move it to my smaller tank because it was clambering up and knocking over my corals, and picking up after him is a pain not to mention potential damage to corals.
1) I'm wondering how people cope with these critters in their reef tanks? Mine has the shell about the size of a squash ball. Maybe I shouldn't have been so greedy and gotten a smaller one.

2) Hermit crabs hijack the empty shells of other critters right? So if one in the tank outgrows its current shell, being a closed system, am I supposed to provide it with a new home?? (sounds like a silly question)

Thanks

Joe Mac

i didn't think hermits that big were supposed to be in a reef environment. but i could be wrong. i was told a good rule of thumb would be to keep the hermits under a the size of a walnut.

1) I'm wondering how people cope with these critters in their reef tanks? Mine has the shell about the size of a squash ball. Maybe I shouldn't have been so greedy and gotten a smaller one.

I keep hermits, but only those deignated as "reef safe", I have dwarf zebra hermits right now. IMO, it is important that you not add anything to your reef tank, if you can't identify it, if you don't know what it is, how do you know it won't eat your fish and corals?

2) Hermit crabs hijack the empty shells of other critters right? So if one in the tank outgrows its current shell, being a closed system, am I supposed to provide it with a new home?? (sounds like a silly question)

Not a silly question at all, yes you need to provide empty shells for the crab to move into as he grows :wink:

As stated, most reefers keep hermits designated as "reef safe". To my knowledge, these include only those that keep a pretty small size and are most often scavengers. I believe some of the larger species are often fairly predatory on small fish, etc. 8O

I'll try to sort out a pic. The LFS said it was reef safe which was why I bought it.

JoeMac

take it back to the LFS and decide on Dwarf Zebras...or Red Legged Hermits... (my choice) They are small and manageable... I have over 25 in my 90 gal... But, only get one type...larger will eat smaller if you know what I mean...

Back
Top Bottom