hi everyone...new to AA...a few questions about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:D firstly, I would like to say that this is a great forum. I've been reading a lot of posts on here for the past few weeks and everyone seems very helpful. Anyways, I just started to cycle my 26G bowfront with 30 pounds of really fine sand I found at my lfs and about 18 pounds of semi-cured lr so far. It's been about a week now and I've been taking water measurements everyday. On the 4th day my ammonia was at 4.0, nitrites were >1, and nitrates were 20. Today ammonia was at .25, nitrites are still >1, and nitrates are at 10. Does this sound normal? I thought that nitrites were supposed to go down before the nitrates start to go up. Also, this might sound like a newbie question (which I am btw :cry: ), I cycled by throwing in a raw shrimp, but does it matter if I threw it in with the shell still on. Because the shrimp is covered with a huge glob of pick and white mucous looking substance. thanks in advance for any feedback

Go ahead and remove the shrimp now. Once you ammonia gets high enf, you can get rid of the source. Not sure, but that may be causing the trates. Need the trites to go up now and come back to zero.

It sounds like to me you`re about in the middle of your cycle. The cured LR probably sped things up.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Props for doing a fishless cycle!!!!

It sounds like you are on your way. I agree, the LR probably helped your cycle. As for the noob stuff, don't worry, ask all you want. The only thing we ask of you is to listen. We were ALL new at one time!

Back
Top Bottom