Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
How alive should LR be?

Recieved a shipment of Flordia Aquaculture LR last Friday. When I received it was wrapped in newspaper n a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. When I pulled it out there were several dead creatures, mostly crabs, and a couple of live ones, one crab and a small starfish. I placed in tank immediately, I am still cycling the tank so I am curing in the tank, and now it is 4 days later. I was told that things would start popping out of the rock after a couple of days but I do not see much in the way of life on the rock. What should I expect to see?

Attached is a picutre of one of the pieces

pdwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
IME with FA LR, not too much, mostly coralline algae. FA LR is almst like concrete covered in algae IMO. You may have a few pieces of hard coral on there and some may survive. None the less, it is a good coralline producer and it will sread throughout the tank if given enough light. Some FA LR is good looking rock...
Old 05-13-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IMO the photo you posted looks like live rock I would have expected. Most of what you find in the bottom of the box are hitchikers that where on the rock or in the rock when it was shipped. They will fall of and dry up (really nothing can be dont about this) in the transportaion to your house.

Give the rock a few months and stuff will start to grow and emerge you never knew you had. There is still much life on that rock that appears baren.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
My FL aquacultured rock has much more life on it than the piece of Tonga I have. As Fishfreek said, give it a little time, I wouldn't expect to see much until the rock is done curing and the tank is through it's cycle.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com