How alive should LR be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recieved a shipment of Flordia Aquaculture LR last Friday. When I received it was wrapped in newspaper n a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. When I pulled it out there were several dead creatures, mostly crabs, and a couple of live ones, one crab and a small starfish. I placed in tank immediately, I am still cycling the tank so I am curing in the tank, and now it is 4 days later. I was told that things would start popping out of the rock after a couple of days but I do not see much in the way of life on the rock. What should I expect to see?

Attached is a picutre of one of the pieces

IME with FA LR, not too much, mostly coralline algae. FA LR is almst like concrete covered in algae IMO. You may have a few pieces of hard coral on there and some may survive. None the less, it is a good coralline producer and it will sread throughout the tank if given enough light. Some FA LR is good looking rock...

IMO the photo you posted looks like live rock I would have expected. Most of what you find in the bottom of the box are hitchikers that where on the rock or in the rock when it was shipped. They will fall of and dry up (really nothing can be dont about this) in the transportaion to your house.

Give the rock a few months and stuff will start to grow and emerge you never knew you had. There is still much life on that rock that appears baren.

My FL aquacultured rock has much more life on it than the piece of Tonga I have. As Fishfreek said, give it a little time, I wouldn't expect to see much until the rock is done curing and the tank is through it's cycle.

Back
Top Bottom