Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have kept clowns and damsels in all my tanks. The Damsels are a bit territorial but the clowns will be fine. Unless the Damsel is way bigger than the clowns, I would not worry.

Really depends on if you want to keep the damsel long term.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to 30_gallon_guy
try it and watch them, but if it looks like the damsel is bullying them he gets the boot. Damsels are generaly aggresive and just used for cycleing. But i would keep the clowns intstead of the damsel. Just cus then you have more options with the clowns and other fish compatability.
imo
aleks

Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a Yellow Tail Damsel in a 90gal with two O Clowns and the damsel kept the two clowns trapped in the corner for about two weeks straight. I finally got rid of the Damsel and it took about a month for the Clowns to leave that corner.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I just used the damsel to cycle. He is a pretty cool fish. I may just keep him in my 10 gallon. I want to keep my two O. Clowns in my 38 along with a royal gramma and a firefish. That would be a pretty good looking tank.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I had a Yellow Tail Damsel in a 90gal with two O Clowns and the damsel kept the two clowns trapped in the corner for about two weeks straight. I finally got rid of the Damsel and it took about a month for the Clowns to leave that corner.

Not mine.

I was in a similar situation. I got a yellow tail to cycle, then two clowns in the QT, waiting for the cycle to finish. I was worried, but the yellow tail and the perc are buddies. Now, they both get pushed around by the psuedochromis. IF i COuld catch him HE would be out. The PBT chases the Damsel, the tang is ten times his size, but they play tag. The tang is not trying to hurt him. The tang sticks up for the perc and my scooter blenny. Protects them from that bully pseudo.

I think it is all about individual fish and how they function as a community. See what happens.

On the otherhand, a ten is perfect for a pair of clowns and after seeing pictures today, THey could really be happy in there.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I had 2 percs, 1 yt, and 1 royal gramma in my 38 at one point. The yt would pick on the gramma all the time. And it eventually died. I loved that gramma to. I can't wait to get another one. They are amazing fish.

The 38 gallon is in my living room. So they would make that tank look much better. I kind of hate the way my 38 is setup. CC and only base rock. It looks OK. Absolutely 0 algea. I guess it looks kind of cool in a way. And no need to worry about nasty hitchhikers either. I will have to add some lr someday though.

The percs are fine in the 10. But I would like to move them into the larger tank. Along with a few other peaceful fish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just my experience, but domino damsels are evil. Some sooner than others. The sound they make is kind of interesting though. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I think they will be fine after getting used to each other if they are about the same size. I put a wrasse in with my two damsels and haven't had a problem.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

no i wouldnt take the chance with damsels i did before and lost so damsels are the devil and just be carful

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com