How bad of an idea is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 O. Clowns in my 10 gallon now. They are rather small. I have a domino damsel in my 38 gallon which is finally cycled. I am thinking about adding the clowns to the 38. Not sure how the damsel will react. Think this a possible group that can stay together? Or does the damsel need to go?

I wouldnt take that chance, but you might have some luck with power by numbers. I had one convict or srgt major in my tank and he wasnt too bad, but when I had lots of them, they were awful.

Your damsel might take into the clowns. now if they where added at the same time you would have ok

Beings that clowns are damselfishes, they can be quite mean themselves. I recently added 2 percs to my 29 gallon which was housing a pretty nasty blue devil damsel. I was worried that the damsel was going to give my little clowns a problem. Turns out, the clowns chase him around. HTH

I would take the damsel and acclimate him to the 10 at the same time you aclimate your clowns to the 38. Move a few things around in the 38 to confuse the damsel and effectively break his territory..a few days after the clowns have been in and the damsel has been in the 10, then put the damsel back. If you add the damsel last he will most likely not mess with the clowns

I may just get rid of the damsel. That was the plan at first anyways.

I guess he could hang out in my 10 gallon until I decide to get something else. I had planned on keeping the clowns in the 10 forever but I like them...so I think they deserve the 38. a firefish and a royal gramma and my 38 gallon is done. Just wish I would have gotten some sand for it,.

I added a single tomato clown (small) to my 55 gallon after I already had a big domino and small yellow-tailed damsel in the tank.

The clown actually hangs out with the domino, which is at least 4 times his size.

I may have just gotten lucky though.

I have 1 Oc Clown and 2 yellow tail damsels in my 75G. Though the clown is larger they do pick on him sometimes. However, much like a dog, when cornered they are plenty well equipped to defend themselves..

I have kept clowns and damsels in all my tanks. The Damsels are a bit territorial but the clowns will be fine. Unless the Damsel is way bigger than the clowns, I would not worry.

Really depends on if you want to keep the damsel long term.

try it and watch them, but if it looks like the damsel is bullying them he gets the boot. Damsels are generaly aggresive and just used for cycleing. But i would keep the clowns intstead of the damsel. Just cus then you have more options with the clowns and other fish compatability.
imo
aleks
0X

I had a Yellow Tail Damsel in a 90gal with two O Clowns and the damsel kept the two clowns trapped in the corner for about two weeks straight. I finally got rid of the Damsel and it took about a month for the Clowns to leave that corner.

I just used the damsel to cycle. He is a pretty cool fish. I may just keep him in my 10 gallon. I want to keep my two O. Clowns in my 38 along with a royal gramma and a firefish. That would be a pretty good looking tank.

I had a Yellow Tail Damsel in a 90gal with two O Clowns and the damsel kept the two clowns trapped in the corner for about two weeks straight. I finally got rid of the Damsel and it took about a month for the Clowns to leave that corner.

:D

Not mine.

I was in a similar situation. I got a yellow tail to cycle, then two clowns in the QT, waiting for the cycle to finish. I was worried, but the yellow tail and the perc are buddies. Now, they both get pushed around by the psuedochromis. IF i COuld catch him HE would be out. The PBT chases the Damsel, the tang is ten times his size, but they play tag. The tang is not trying to hurt him. The tang sticks up for the perc and my scooter blenny. Protects them from that bully pseudo.

I think it is all about individual fish and how they function as a community. See what happens.

On the otherhand, a ten is perfect for a pair of clowns and after seeing pictures today, THey could really be happy in there. :wink:

I had 2 percs, 1 yt, and 1 royal gramma in my 38 at one point. The yt would pick on the gramma all the time. And it eventually died. I loved that gramma to. I can't wait to get another one. They are amazing fish.

The 38 gallon is in my living room. So they would make that tank look much better. I kind of hate the way my 38 is setup. CC and only base rock. It looks OK. Absolutely 0 algea. I guess it looks kind of cool in a way. And no need to worry about nasty hitchhikers either. I will have to add some lr someday though.

The percs are fine in the 10. But I would like to move them into the larger tank. Along with a few other peaceful fish.

Just my experience, but domino damsels are evil. Some sooner than others. The sound they make is kind of interesting though. Good luck.

I think they will be fine after getting used to each other if they are about the same size. I put a wrasse in with my two damsels and haven't had a problem.

no i wouldnt take the chance with damsels i did before and lost so damsels are the devil and just be carful

Back
Top Bottom