How do I remove calcium buildup from glass ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello: My name is Big Ron and I am a newbie to this forum. I recently bought a 75 gal tank that was set up for saltwater. I am now setting it up for freshwater, but the "haze " on the glass is bad. I am a fanatic about cleaning this off but I have found that nothing works so far. Have used-- Plain white vinegar, Baking soda and vinegar , Salt and vinegar , and Straight bleach all to no avail. Is this impossible to remove or is there something out there that is stronger that anyone can recommend. The tank is in perfect condition except for the calcium buildup. I appreciate any help you can give me .

Thanks

I heard of folks using Barkeeper’s Friend and CLR (Calcium, Lime, & Rust Remover) to deal with buildup. I have not used these so input from others would be helpful.

I bought a really dirty 125g tank and only thing I found that worked was Bar Keepers Friend. You will want the powder instead of the foam. You can find it on Amazon, price is very reasonable, maybe $10. It took 3 cleaning for me.
Hope it works for you.

Thanks. I did try that but only 1 time. Hardly touched it. I will try a few more times and then clean entire tank with warm vinegar. Fingers crossed.

Thanks I will definitely try that . This is a major issue , but slowly coming along.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try ammonia tomorrow morning as noted by King Fisher. But your remedy is next if needed. fingers crossed.

Calcium based algaes are extremely hard to get off. People LOVE to see coraline growing in their systems...unless they've been around for long enough to have to scrub and scrape it off of their powerheads. I battle a green and typical purple coraline algae on the front pane of my current system as the stuff is growing like wild fire.

I'd suggest filling it up with water and adding either vinegar or something like CLR or bartender's. That'll loosen it up if it sits for awhile. Then just scrape it off with the solution still in the tank. Then empty and rinse the tank very well.

Definitely soak the tank with ammonia. 24 hours sounds good like sniper said then scrape it with a razor.

Back
Top Bottom