How fast to add fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know you dont want to over-do your fish, as you introduce them to the tank...

My tank has been cycled for @1week, and the cleaners are hard at work cleaning away.

I was looking at making an order from saltwaterfish.com, but in order to get the break on shipping etc i was looking at getting several fish:

2 perc clowns
1 yellow tang
1 watchman goby
2 peppermint shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1 CBS

Since all i have in my tank at the moment is the LR and sand, would putting these in to the tank directly be advisable, rather then just keeping them in QT for a few weeks. If any problems occur, I could transplant them in to the QT if needed.

Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?

Is your QT tank cycled and how big is it. Adding that many fish to a newly cylced tank IMO is not a good idea. how big is the tank and how much LR? What are the current readings on the tank.
2 clowns alone would be fine.. The yellow tank alones would be fine. Shrimp do not add tot he boi load so adding all of them at once is fine. Just make sure you acclimate them carefully and longer then fish. No need to QT shrimp.

sorry,

QT is not cycled broke down and cleaned it yesterday, waiting for the new spot next t o the new tank ;P

my tank is a 75g with a 30g sump
@140+lbs of LR and 60lb sand

my ph between 8.0-8.2
nitrates = @2ppm
nitrites = <.1
amonia = 0

I still would not add all those fish at once, reason is there is not enough bacteria in the tank to support all the waste that they will be producing. You need to add one large or 2 small fish tops and wait a few weeks for bacteria to grow more.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, we need to take things slow.
Only bad things happen fast..
You have a good set up going so don't rush things.....

10-4

I don't think I actually going to head down that route, just had to ask...

I was also thinking the order from saltwaterfish.com was 100 bucks not 79, so that makes things easier.

Ill probaby just make the initial order of 2 clowns, 2 skunk cleaners, 1 CBS, and 2 peppermint.

I already have @40-50 blue legs, and 20 turbos, and @30-40 narisuss (sp) or what they are supposed to be

Anything else you guys reccomend that I look at for the initial order?

TIA

mike

there is not enough bacteria in the tank to support all the waste that they will be producing

Agreed. The bacteria established when you cycled isn't sufficient for that kinda of load right now.

Are your nitrates @ 2ppm or 20ppm? I'm thinking, you mean 20 and if that's the case you already have issues with good bacteria not being well established yet anyway.

Also if you're gonna do other fish (than those listed above), do the tang near last. Some can be mean and territorial. List what your idea of fully stocked is (your wish list) and we can help you better.

Gotta get that QT tank established :soap: before you add anything IMO. With that much rock, you'll have serious problems having to catch and/or treat potential outbreaks.

You might be safe with doing the goby and shrimp only at this time. The QT the rest as yo add them. hile new fish are in QT, good bacteria'll grow and sustain heavier loads.

Good luck. And be patient. Believe me, I know it's hard, but you'll be be better off in the longrun.

Back
Top Bottom