Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long did it take your tank to cycle?

I'm cycling my tank at the moment. It has been a little over two weeks. Anyway, I've been testing my tank daily for the past week using seachem tests. Here are the readings from the last 3 days.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:8.1
alk: 3.5 meq/l
ca: 400

Today makes 17 days. Only two weeks and it seems like I'm fully cycled. I know I should wait at least a few more weeks to make sure they are stable, but I had no idea it would only take two weeks to get to this point. I have about 140lbs LR and 50 lbs of dry base rock. I used 120lbs of aragamax aragonite sand and about 50lbs of LS from the lfs. (In a 90gal tank). If these readings keep up for a week or two, may I start with a clean-up crew? Maybe even add 2-3 green chromis that I've been waiting to get?

I had a brown algae outbreak a about a week and a half ago, and now it's pretty much gone. There's a bunch of green algae on the glass, but not as much as I expected after looking at a few pictures of other tanks. A clean-up crew would make fast work of it.

Anyway, I hope I can make a few additions before Christmas. That would be awesome!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank cycled pretty quickly as well. When I got to the point you are at, I started stocking my cleaning crew. I also bought my first fish and put him in qt. Since the fish needed a couple weeks in qt, that gave me time to make sure that the cycle really was complete.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would give it another few days, then start adding your clean up crew a handful of snails and crabs at a time. Looks like you are making great progress.

Post some pics of your tank Heineken

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Almost a month for mine to be complete. The brown stage lasted a little longer than expected.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to yanek Send a message via Yahoo to yanek
When I rebuilt my tank, I had it cycled after 11 days. I used a spray (not a whole lot -- 5 llbs) of existing live sand, some existing live rock, a lot of new live rock, and some existing water (20 G?) for my 75G. Monitored closely every day, performed water changes and ran my skimmer.

I started adding critters as soon as the cycle appeared over. No problems.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Did you use any additives or did the LR and LS do all the work?

thx
Old 12-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't use any additives. I heard that they may be detrimental to your tank. I just used a lot of LR and LS. Can't wait to start adding a few things.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My brand new 75gal tank took only 3 weeks to complete the cycle process. I cycled with 3 cocktail shrimps and LS/LR.

Tags
cycle, long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com