How long did it take your tank to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm cycling my tank at the moment. It has been a little over two weeks. Anyway, I've been testing my tank daily for the past week using seachem tests. Here are the readings from the last 3 days.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:8.1
alk: 3.5 meq/l
ca: 400

Today makes 17 days. Only two weeks and it seems like I'm fully cycled. I know I should wait at least a few more weeks to make sure they are stable, but I had no idea it would only take two weeks to get to this point. I have about 140lbs LR and 50 lbs of dry base rock. I used 120lbs of aragamax aragonite sand and about 50lbs of LS from the lfs. (In a 90gal tank). If these readings keep up for a week or two, may I start with a clean-up crew? Maybe even add 2-3 green chromis that I've been waiting to get?

I had a brown algae outbreak a about a week and a half ago, and now it's pretty much gone. There's a bunch of green algae on the glass, but not as much as I expected after looking at a few pictures of other tanks. A clean-up crew would make fast work of it.

Anyway, I hope I can make a few additions before Christmas. That would be awesome!

My tank cycled pretty quickly as well. When I got to the point you are at, I started stocking my cleaning crew. I also bought my first fish and put him in qt. Since the fish needed a couple weeks in qt, that gave me time to make sure that the cycle really was complete.

I would give it another few days, then start adding your clean up crew a handful of snails and crabs at a time. Looks like you are making great progress.

Post some pics of your tank Heineken :)

Almost a month for mine to be complete. The brown stage lasted a little longer than expected.

When I rebuilt my tank, I had it cycled after 11 days. I used a spray (not a whole lot -- 5 llbs) of existing live sand, some existing live rock, a lot of new live rock, and some existing water (20 G?) for my 75G. Monitored closely every day, performed water changes and ran my skimmer.

I started adding critters as soon as the cycle appeared over. No problems.

I didn't use any additives. I heard that they may be detrimental to your tank. I just used a lot of LR and LS. Can't wait to start adding a few things.

Back
Top Bottom