How long qt new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello guys & girls need little info. I've never qt new fish and had white spot twice so after qt and doing hypo at start off year I'm ready to add some new fish into qt before adding to my main tank. How long should I have them in qt for and how long should I do hypo for. Thanks for any help and merry Christmas

I'm still working on my morning coffee, but this answer can vary.
You want to keep an eye on the new fish to ensure nothing is wrong. I'd say a month.
During this time applying medications can also adjust this timeframe.

Hello guys & girls need little info. I've never qt new fish and had white spot twice so after qt and doing hypo at start off year I'm ready to add some new fish into qt before adding to my main tank. How long should I have them in qt for and how long should I do hypo for. Thanks for any help and merry Christmas
There are some parasites that have a 6-8 week lifecycle so I would not be in a hurry to put a new fish in qt into a main tank for at least the 8 weeks. If there is no breakout during that time, you should be good to go. Many fish get sick from the way they are transported so that stress brings a lot of diseases out early, but not always. Better safe than sorry. ;) (y)

I'd have said a month, but Andy has a good point about the 6-8 week cycle. Might want to medicate them, too, with some API General Cure to deal with any internal parasites they might be carrying.

I'd have said a month, but Andy has a good point about the 6-8 week cycle. Might want to medicate them, too, with some API General Cure to deal with any internal parasites they might be carrying.

Thanks I'm from uk so can't get api general cure over here

Thanks guys I'll keep eye on them and see if anything comes out on them. Think after few weeks I'll still do hypo as know the lfs tanks got w/s and really don't want go through it in my main again

Just update as after them being in qt just over a week I've notice I white patch appear on on fish Gill and not there before.Fish eating fine and water test are fine but added esha trimarin wide range treatment just incase

Not to belabor the point but this is why QT is SO important. You never know what the fish is carrying that your naked eye can't see.
I can't tell for sure from your pic but the area in question is a common spot for Brooklynella infection so you may want to also watch for advancement as antibiotics will not treat that. Here's an article to help diagnose this: Brooklynella Disease Education from FishVet, Inc.

If it is Brook, I have found freshwater baths to be very effective to prevent extreme cases but I followed that with a formalin med after a short rest period from the fish.

Hope this helps. (y)

Not to belabor the point but this is why QT is SO important. You never know what the fish is carrying that your naked eye can't see.
I can't tell for sure from your pic but the area in question is a common spot for Brooklynella infection so you may want to also watch for advancement as antibiotics will not treat that. Here's an article to help diagnose this: Brooklynella Disease Education from FishVet, Inc.

If it is Brook, I have found freshwater baths to be very effective to prevent extreme cases but I followed that with a formalin med after a short rest period from the fish.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thx sorry pic not better but fish is still shy and waters coloured from med I've put in. Ill keep eye on and try get some meds after done wc tomor

With Brook, it's better to be pro active than re active. ;) Hope it all works out for you. Nice Anthias by the way. :D

Thx there are lovely looking fish had to get them when seen as been looking for while what to add to tank to end my stock.
Well I recorded the male and showed the guy at lfs he said don't look like anything to serous but keep eye on over next week, he did say name to what it could be but I not remember

I've done bit reading on brook and seen few articles saying hypo helps kill it have you any knowledge off this

I've done bit reading on brook and seen few articles saying hypo helps kill it have you any knowledge off this
My experience has been extreme hypo ( as in freshwater dips which is about as hypo as you can get lol) so a long term existence in lower salinity water should have a similar effect. I just like to not let the little buggers have any chance of getting used to the lower salinity range which is a small possibility while an extreme dip should kill them tight off immediately.
As for what the issue may be, it may be a few things. For example, a small wound that is now infected, a parasitic worm making it's way out of the body, an outright infection. I only brought up Brooklynella because the area on the body that is having the issue is a typical area where Brook is often seen first. Since I can't diagnose for sure via that pic, I was just hoping to give you some info to be aware of.
Bottom line, if it starts getting worse, the meds you are using are not working so I wouldn't wait to see if things change. Get other meds and use for both bacteria and parasites. (y)

I understand as pic not the best but greatful for any info then can research more about. Good thing is he's not getting any worse at min and done 30% wc so just have to see if clears up in next week then try different meds or a dip

General consensus on the other forum that I use, is a six week quarantine

That's long enough that if you bought a sick fish it would show symptoms and you can treat them

First line of treatment is always water changes, whilst testing parameters for any indication of water-based problems (ammonia spike, etc)

Then look for desease , parasites and decide upon best medication

General consensus on the other forum that I use, is a six week quarantine

That's long enough that if you bought a sick fish it would show symptoms and you can treat them

First line of treatment is always water changes, whilst testing parameters for any indication of water-based problems (ammonia spike, etc)

Then look for desease , parasites and decide upon best medication

Thx. That's what I'm doing now after two cases of ws and just shows you don't know what new fish are carrying so best to qt. they been in for 3 weeks now and looked fine for first 10 days with good water tests plus doing 20% wc every 3 days so just keeping eye on them.

Totally agree

I bought neons in November that had parasites, and Now have some bloated minnows in qt that look like they got it back. Didn't have a qt then but I keep one established now

QT for marines is a little different than for freshwater fish. Most diseases in freshwater have a shorter incubation period/ life cycle so they will show up sooner. There are some Marine diseases that are more internal than external and don't show for quite a while. Since many marine fish are wild caught, they are subject to many more "bugs" that domestic freshwater fish have already been screened for. For freshies, the biggest problem I have found, is the other fish in the system. Your new fish now are carriers opposed to being sick and then become sick at a later stress.
Bottom line, with all fish types, the longer the better. ;) (y)

Well I woke up to day and he was dead, was looking little worse yesterday so done wc and going get meds today but to late

Back
Top Bottom