How long should I wait to get an urchin??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gal that has been up and running for about 2 months. I was thinking in about a month or two. Is this too soon? I know they require good water quality. My nitrates are around 4-5. Everything else is as it should be. TIA

Whats kind do you want?
The Blue tux are great...
I got mine after about 2-3 months and all is well. I even picked up a 2nd for my tank....
tux1.jpg

My Pencil Urchin came as a hitchhiker on LR (not even submerged in water). Not as pretty as the blue tux, but hes nifty none the less. I think you should be fine with an Urchin.

I've had a few pin cushion and long black spiney urchins and i got rid of them because they definitely enjoy munching on corraline.

Do the blue tux urchin eats coraline algea? I would like to get me one also.
if you target feed them, it should not be an issue. I say go for it.

Darn it! I wuz starting to think about one, but I'm not one to target feed. Got a beautiful rusty gorgonia last month. Dying off slowly when I got bad info about them not needing target feeding. I swish cyclopeeze every so often and do the DT stuff, but can't get into target feeding.

You don't have to target feed if you have enough algae in your system. I just enjoy doing it and my urchins tend to leave my Coraline alone. Here are a couple of mine.
One likes to eat nori from the clip, and another likes to steal the clip. :p

Attachments

• tux0001.jpg
    tux0001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 184
  • thief_203.jpg
    thief_203.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 71
  • blue_125.jpg
    blue_125.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 131
I also have a white Pincushion and of course Spikey. :)

Attachments

• urchin_225.jpg
    urchin_225.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 187
  • snowball_1.jpg
    snowball_1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 141
What is that tux eating in the third pic up top?! Looks like he's playing with a ball of string. Great looking animals. Thanks for sharing your pics with us!

/Urchin n00b questions

Do Urchins have eyes or do they move around entirely by smell and touch? Also, do they fall over, and can they right themselves if they do?

/end of easy questions

Thanks!

What is that tux eating in the third pic up top?!
Its a piece of macroalgae, can't remember what its called.

Do Urchins have eyes or do they move around entirely by smell and touch?
if you look closely at an urchin, in between their spines are transparent wavy apendages . I believe they use these to "feel" their way around.

Also, do they fall over, and can they right themselves if they do?

No worries, there really is no "right" position for them, although they do seem to prefer having their mouth under them. I suppose its easier to eat this way.

Yes, thank you both for sharing those pictures with us. They are amazing creatures. I love the look of the blue tux and the black longspine.

1. Should I wait a few weeks or do I have the green light to get these guys?
2. Any pointers to keep them healthy other than the obvious (good water parameters)?
2. Will nori/seaweed keep them happy and healthy, or do they require other types of food?
3. Do these guys ship well? The 3 lfs that I frequently visit don't carry them often and I was considering ordering them on-line. Good idea or no?

And lastly, thanks for the advice and pics.
A

1. Should I wait a few weeks or do I have the green light to get these guys?
I think you are OK.
2. Any pointers to keep them healthy other than the obvious (good water parameters)?
Just target feed them nori 2-3 times a week and they will be fine. Also make sure your rockwork is stable.These guys can be little bulldozers. :lol:
2. Will nori/seaweed keep them happy and healthy, or do they require other types of food?
Mine love nori, other than that they will graze the algae in the tank...no worries.
3. Do these guys ship well?
I odered all but the longspine online, no problem there.
Have fun, they are cool little creatures! :D

Back
Top Bottom