How long will copper stay in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my 10 gallon used to be a planted FW and had a huge snail problem. Granted it was frozen and then emptied fully i made sure there were no last hitchhikers left and used some copper based ICk treatment on the tank while i've gotten it setup and am just running carbon through it right now.

All that being said would it be safe to start up a 10 gallon FOWLR setup? or should I keep up water changes and constant carbon for a few more weeks/month? (currently been up for 1 month with about 15 water changes of 75% and numerous gravel vacuums). If there is still some copper present in the tank will it kill off any coraline items (i believe thats the correct term, algae inverts and stuff associated to grow on live rock with proper lighting)

GAC may get some out of the water, but not out of the tank's seals. There is a product that mey remover some of the copper, but I can't find the specific name of it. Hopefully someone can ID it for you. I think Hara knows what it is.

IMO, I suggest getting a new 10 gal before introducing LR. I would also not use any equipment that has been exposed to copper. It will kill coral and other inverts such as pods, worms, etc.

Back
Top Bottom