How long will saltwater last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking, I DESPISE mixing saltwater..

So, is it possible to mix a LARGE batch of water, and have it last say...a month or two, if propperly stored in a large vessel?

I was thinking of using a large garbage can if this would work. Clean and brand new of course. Any brand in particular thats known not to have bad things leeching?

Also, I know if the water just sits still the salt could seperate, so I plan on sticking a PH in the water to keep it moving around.

From what I understand, you would also need to keep it at temperature. I've read not to let it age over a week, but that was just an opinion in an article.

I wouldn't mind buying a heater, to, if I could just mix saltwater every few months instead every other week.

That is a nice part of running 150 gallons in the system and having it lightly stocked. I rarely have to do water changes.

Well, I do waterchanges every two or three weeks because quite frankly, I don't know how often I should do them.

THere isn't much in the tank, The main reason I do changes is out of fear that my snails, hermits, and other such things have absorbed the calcium, ect ect out of the water.

Cause Nitrates are not bad on my tank just yet, I just don't know how fast my critters are absorbing the goodies out of the saltwater.

Match all parameters as close as possible to the tank it will be added to. This will reduce stress in the tank

I store my saltwater in 5G buckets in the garage and keep there up to 1 1/2 Month.
No heater.
No Powerhead.
No no problems yet.

Back
Top Bottom