how much circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much circulation should I have in my tank. It a 75 gal. I have a 600 gph return pump and a power head that is a 400 model so I'm assuming its 400 gph. What is better for the tank powerheads or ciruclation wave makers

i have 1500 GPH in my 35 gallon, one of my koralia Evos impeller shaft seased up so since i have to replace it i'm going to buy two evo 750 impellers to replace the 550s bumping my GPH to almost 2000.

if you're going to go with a reef setup aim for about 30x the total volume of the tanks flow so for that 75g i would go with atleast 2500, if you want SPS corals then try and hit 50x the volume or more.

you can never really have to much flow fish will be happy with whatever they are in as long as they aren't plastered against the glass

lol usually with a FOWLR you aim for atleast 10x it allows the water to flow though all the biological filtration of the rock and sand it also helps keep your fish happy as in nature the currents can be pretty wild in some of the shallower reefs. for a FOWLR i'd put two koralia 750 on either side and try and aim them up a bit to get some surface aggitation of the water to get some oxygen exchange but if you have a sump and return pump this could be your surface aggitator while the PH are just circulating water

Back
Top Bottom