Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How to clean acrylic tank? Sand residue!

Help! I just got my slightly used acrylic tank. It has some sand residue left in it as well as a bit of algae and general funk. How do I clean it without scratching the tank?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Anoush
Hi,
I usually dry the tank with hair dryer and remove the sand particles by vacuum cleaner to prevent scratching the walls.
Then fill the tank with water and add Whitex (Liquid Bleach) in it and leave it for a day.

After all the algae and stains were removed, emptying the tank, clean it with a piece of cotton cloth, refill the tank and add two to three additional dose of anti Chlorine and Chloramine to the water and use it safe. Here we use "Aquasafe" made by Tetra Company (German Co.) or "Aquatan" made by Sera Company (German too.)

Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll give the vacuum a try. I'm a little scared to try bleach though.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Anoush
Do not afraid of it, I have tried it many times, it would be neutralized by anti chlorine products that you use for tap water, but you should use anti Chlorine more than normal dose.
Liquid Bleach would disinfect and remove the colors of fish drugs which remained on aquarium walls and silicon parts.

If you feel uncomfortable, after using the bleach, rinse thoroughly and fill the aquarium and de-chlorinate it two times. you would see that there is no smell of it anymore.

I think in your country the brand name is Clorox®

Visit its website: Clorox® Cleaning Products - Cleaner Homes Start With Clorox
Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I ended up being able to get the algae off with gentle scraping with a credit card edge - worked great and didn't scratch the acrylic at all. I'm in the process of mixing salt water now to fill it. I have a small batch of live rock coming next week. I also have to buy a bunch of base rock and cure it. However, everything has to be done in little bits because of my budget. Just paid my youngest son's university tuition for the spring! YIKES.

I love the internet. It's fascinating to chat with someone across the world. Tell me about your tank in Tehran. Do you have lots of local fish stores? Or do you buy from the internet? Is SW a big hobby there? It can be very expensive around here and I shop carefully for everything I buy because of price.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Bleach is OK to use on a tank as long as you let it completely air dry. Soap is what you dont want to use. I have cleaned many a tank with a couple caps of bleach to a bucket of water. As I said the key is complete air dry.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, clean, sand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com