How to clean acrylic tank? Sand residue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcrack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help! I just got my slightly used acrylic tank. It has some sand residue left in it as well as a bit of algae and general funk. How do I clean it without scratching the tank?

Hi,
I usually dry the tank with hair dryer and remove the sand particles by vacuum cleaner to prevent scratching the walls.
Then fill the tank with water and add Whitex (Liquid Bleach) in it and leave it for a day.

After all the algae and stains were removed, emptying the tank, clean it with a piece of cotton cloth, refill the tank and add two to three additional dose of anti Chlorine and Chloramine to the water and use it safe. Here we use "Aquasafe" made by Tetra Company (German Co.) or "Aquatan" made by Sera Company (German too.)

Do not afraid of it, I have tried it many times, it would be neutralized by anti chlorine products that you use for tap water, but you should use anti Chlorine more than normal dose.
Liquid Bleach would disinfect and remove the colors of fish drugs which remained on aquarium walls and silicon parts.

If you feel uncomfortable, after using the bleach, rinse thoroughly and fill the aquarium and de-chlorinate it two times. you would see that there is no smell of it anymore.

I think in your country the brand name is Clorox®

Visit its website: Clorox® Cleaning Products - Cleaner Homes Start With Cloroxhttp://www.google.com/url?q=http://...t&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNGYNiHZXT074sMGBZVqhfUv4CJNWw

I ended up being able to get the algae off with gentle scraping with a credit card edge - worked great and didn't scratch the acrylic at all. I'm in the process of mixing salt water now to fill it. I have a small batch of live rock coming next week. I also have to buy a bunch of base rock and cure it. However, everything has to be done in little bits because of my budget. Just paid my youngest son's university tuition for the spring! YIKES.

I love the internet. It's fascinating to chat with someone across the world. Tell me about your tank in Tehran. Do you have lots of local fish stores? Or do you buy from the internet? Is SW a big hobby there? It can be very expensive around here and I shop carefully for everything I buy because of price.

Bleach is OK to use on a tank as long as you let it completely air dry. Soap is what you dont want to use. I have cleaned many a tank with a couple caps of bleach to a bucket of water. As I said the key is complete air dry.

Back
Top Bottom