Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have bought them from 3 different stores. I have lost coral from all 3 stores, and have some living from all 3 stores.

I drip acclimate for 1-1.5 hours, and usually do a lugols dip to kill any hitchhikers.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see that alkalinity as being high. In fact I believe it is on the low side. And if you use Seachem salt it is quiet low.
I thought 7-11 was recommended and higher if you use the borate enhanced Seachem.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I use redsea coral pro salt.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
I don't see that alkalinity as being high. In fact I believe it is on the low side. And if you use Seachem salt it is quiet low.
I thought 7-11 was recommended and higher if you use the borate enhanced Seachem.
Hmm, i always thought 8 was the max, maybe its just preference
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. I run the AI Sols also. They are about ten inches above the surface & I started my peak output at 70% or so and over a month crept up to where I am now at about 90% white & 95% on blues. Some of my corals started on the sand & others started mid to top instantly. Most of my corals do well. Great growth on Acans, blastos, chalice, SPS, candy canes, etc. I did lose a BTA though. Not sure if your lights are on high enough. How far above the tank are they? Also did you qt them or disinfect them? I disinfect and then dip in revive each piece. I also feed them daily (prob get most people disagree with that) and target feed several times a week using several coral foods. With the mps you run I would think you have adequate flow but you may need to adjust that. Also, u have any algea restricting their growth? Are the corals or frags open up nicely and or healed when you get them at the LFS?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes they look great at the LFS and for the first week or two in the tank. Then the slow decline begins. And no algae.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Just a shot in the dark...is it possible you have something in your tank eating the coral, maybe a nudibranch, or starfish or the hermits?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm coming in late so please excuse me if my questions are redundant.

How many AI SOL BLUES are you running?

How far from the water are they?

I have the same light, what are your % at?

Whites %

Blues %

Royals %

Do you do the acclimation setting when adding the coral?

Also your alk could go up a but I don't think that's killing your corals. My dkh is 12 some may say that's high. The range is 7-11 so I don't see that as the killer. I'm willing to bet its the light or lights.

I'd like to try and help bud if I can. I'm not an expert but I've had the AI for almost a year now.

I wanna know specifics of you don't mind. Like your ramp up schedule and what is your highest point an how long it stays at it. Also your ramp down and if you have any total darkness.

I have my lights to go off totally at 3am-7am then slowly ramp up to noon and stay at that high point until 2pm then it slowly ramps down and down until it hits moonlight at 8pm then off at 3am.

I had to start dosing since the coral growth took off. I use B-ionic.

Do you feed your corals at all? I use reefs nutrition live phyto 20 drops every 3 days.

Also what kind of flow do you have?

A full tank shot would help.

I'd really like to try and help and figure this out together.

Thanks

Dino

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I'm coming in late so please excuse me if my questions are redundant.

How many AI SOL BLUES are you running?

How far from the water are they?

I have the same light, what are your % at?

Whites %

Blues %

Royals %

Do you do the acclimation setting when adding the coral?

Also your alk could go up a but I don't think that's killing your corals. My dkh is 12 some may say that's high. The range is 7-11 so I don't see that as the killer. I'm willing to bet its the light or lights.

I'd like to try and help bud if I can. I'm not an expert but I've had the AI for almost a year now.

I wanna know specifics of you don't mind. Like your ramp up schedule and what is your highest point an how long it stays at it. Also your ramp down and if you have any total darkness.

I have my lights to go off totally at 3am-7am then slowly ramp up to noon and stay at that high point until 2pm then it slowly ramps down and down until it hits moonlight at 8pm then off at 3am.

I had to start dosing since the coral growth took off. I use B-ionic.

Do you feed your corals at all? I use reefs nutrition live phyto 20 drops every 3 days.

Also what kind of flow do you have?

A full tank shot would help.

I'd really like to try and help and figure this out together.

Thanks

Dino
Thanks for comin Dino. Helps you have the same light
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Thanks for comin Dino. Helps you have the same light
No problem buddy. I hope I can have some questions answered so I can give it a shot. I'll try my hardest to help. From what I've read so far I'd say it's the lights. I've burned a few corals with the light and people don't realize (like I didn't as well) how strong this light actually is. This thing packs a HUGE punch. And messing with it over and over again will only do more harm then good. I think I changed my settings 2x's in almost a year.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com