I Need PH,GH,KH course for Dummies. Start me off slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need info and advice in these subject of water quality geared for the absolute beginner.

I have a another tank thats almost finished cycleing, 30 gal, now have 3 angel fish in it and some f. guppies(4) and have read some about the more delicate angels needing diff parameters than my tap tends to have.

I just tested for KH(alkalinity/buffering) of about 180 ppm, and GH(total hardness) between 150-300 ppm.

Please educate me.

Kh directly effects PH. Gh is fine no need to worry about it. Your angels will be fine with your water. Better to have a stable KH/PH than to mess with it. They will do just fine.

Ok, it does stay pretty consistant.

That link was good, thanks.

pH is the measure of hydrogen ion concentation. KH is the meaure of the amount of carbonate ions. GH measure other "minerals" besides carbonate. A high carbonate/KH/alkalinity (those terms are somewhat synonomous) will usually have a higher pH, since carbonate buffers the pH higher. While higher, water with a higher KH is usually very stable in PH. Even fish that are in the wild with low pH usually do well with higher pH's, since most are tank raised or adapted to the higher pH by the time you get them.

Back
Top Bottom