Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I need some tips for starting my first saltwater tank

Hello everyone!
I plan to start a saltwater tank within the next year, but I want to do all the research I can before I start as I know it will be difficult to maintain (at least compared to my 10 gallon betta tank).

Things I want to know:

-Good fish for beginners
-Compatibility of fish (I found a lot of fish that seemed like they would be good for a beginner, but I have no idea if they will thrive in a tank together)
-I'm looking for fish that don't require the feeding of much live food as I live in a big city away from the ocean

Advice anyone?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

For an idea of which fish are best for beginners and if they are compatable or not you should have a look at www.liveaquaria.com . they have a listing of fish best suited for the beginner and there should be all the specs on what they eat, water temperature, there temperment, and there should also be a chart to see there compatability. Hope that helps and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask, you will all the answers you should need on AA

Matt

Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
alot of people will start of with damsels they are the goldfish of saltwater imo they are compatible with clowns ime some say they fight a little at first ,tangs, royal grammas, and blennies but i wouldnt get a tang as a first fish not the easiest to keep fish as for the live food why did you say live near ocean? you wouldnt want to get live food from a ocean that could introduce all kinds of diseases into your tank most people buy brine shrimp eggs ofline and start a small brine tank to feed live food but most people skip the live food all in general. i just recently started doing it alot. most people just feed flake foods. how big of a tank are you planning i wouldnt go below a 30 gal small tanks in saltwater are a everyday job of keeping check.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks for your advice!

I plan on a 50-70 gallon depending on the fish that I end up getting.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That size tank is a good size to start with, you shouldn't have any problems with water stability in a tank that size. Get one as big as you can afford/accommodate you will kick yourself in the future if you don't!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

great tank size mine is a 55 wat about a sump tank will you be having one of those? i highly recomend you do
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

well I had never heard of a sump pump before, but I am reading a little about it and so far getting the general idea and it definitely sounds like something that would be usefuL!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a sump tank and fuge can be a very usefull addition to any aquarium the sump hides all your tank equipment and hardware and th fuge is a great place to grow macro alage to help keep your nitrates low look up some pics of sumptans and refrigums

Tags
beginner, fish compatibility, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, saltwater tank, starting, tan, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com