I will have Live rock and Live sand.... do i need bioballs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pogiboy67

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there i will be starting a 50 gallon tank with a sump, LR, and LS... im not to handy with tools so ill be buyin a pre made sump from the LFS.... my question is... i read that bioballs will increase nitrates..so should i just replace the bio balls with live rock since i have LR AND LS in the tank? and how else can i reduce nitrates in the tank besides a water change?

by the way what are microbubbles and how do you avoid them with a sump?

thanks!

You won't need the Bio-Balls and yeah they can lead to higher nitrates. If this is a new setup ditch them and start with the LR rubble. If it's an exsisting setup you'll want to trade out a few Bio-Balls for some LR until you have no more Bio-Balls! If you remove all the Bio-Balls at once then your esentially removing beneficial bacteria as well.

AS for the microbubbles ??? I think I have read that some people use some sort of baffles on their return lines to stop the bubbles from getting into the tank! Hopefully someone with more knowledge of sumps can explain that one for ya!!

HTH,
Jermz79

what i might get

So im thinking of getting this MUD SUMP refugium....... would i still need live rock rubble? since i would be filling up the refugium with LIVE ROCK? and macroalgae...maybe some mangrove.... the picture provided is a Mud 90 Sump Filter (Aqua Clear Aquatics) for up to 90 gallon tanks... IS THIS SUFFICIENT?
Mud_Filter.jpg

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :D :D :D
I ussually recommend that people go without the bioballs due to the potential NO3 issues. However with plenty of LR in the main (1.5-2lbs/gal) and regualr water changes it may not be an issue. If you have the option now I still say remove them. As suggested, fill up the bioball container with LR rubble instead.

bio-balls can be a benefit for your tank is used correctly. The nitrate problem occurs when people submerge them which is not what they are intended for. I have rubble in the bottom submerged part of my wet/dry and bio-balls above it My nitrates have always stayed low. I have rubble to replace the bio-balls but I just have not done it.

you could consider investing in a good skimmer..
and I wouldn't use the bioballs.. you shouldnt need them..
if you already had them I would tend to agree with Brenden on this..
well designed systems do not accumulate NO3 and arobic bio-filtration medium of any sort can add to the problem..

Back
Top Bottom