Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd like to start a copepod breeding tank

My tank produces a large quantity of Copepods but I'd like to consider starting a small tank that would be used specifically for breeding Copepods in case the other tank happens to start running low. (Already have a small breeding ground in my refegium)

So I'm just hoping to get some suggestions if anyone has one of these. I don't have a spare tank yet but getting one wouldn't be hard at all. I have a Nuvo tank so a lot of the things I'd need if I were to get something else would be new to me. But I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you all as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

So as an update, I bought a 5 gallon tank with some live rock and algae and a small AquaClear pump for movement and have my Nuvo refugium light on it for the time being, like I said this is just a amphipods and copepod tank.

In my main tank I'm going to try hanging small bags of the algae and switch out the algae with what's in my refugium and copepod tank over time. It's not the prettiest but I think it'll do the job for the time being until I can make proper baskets to go in the tank.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This sounds interesting. I am wondering what the magic trick is to keeping and growing LOTS of them?! Will be following along to see what good advice pops up here. I have a 5G and have a good population of Amphipods mostly and just a few tiny little things growing. I only have Camelback Shrimp, MacroAlgae, a couple hermits and snails in that little tank with a bubbler and do smallish weekly pwc.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll also keep you updated with my findings and with my overall setup once I find something suitable.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good. Don't be afraid to mention what didn't/or doesn't work for you. Most of us are interested in learning here.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

this set-up has been working great for me.
My custom integrated fuge/nano display
I always have pods going into the main display and whenever the have a population explosion the fish go nuts.
I initially seeded it with about 5-6 thousand pods/amphipods from different sources and they seem to have worked out a ecosystem where all the different types, about 6-7 at last count, have their own little niche.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I know people have used two 2 liter bottles taped together to breed pods before...though I have not personally tried this method.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Very nice PB_Smith! I might have to look into that.

I'll have a picture of my setup within the next day or two. All that's currently left that I will need is perhaps a better light and the copepods themselves. I've already noticed a small amount on the algae I had taken out of my refugium and added to the tank and I'll get some bottle of the copepods later this week to add to it.

So far to transfer them to the main tank I'm switching out bags that I've put algae into and sliding them into the corner of the tank and leaving them there for a little while and then just switching them back to the copepod tank.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

So my setup currently is a small 5 gallon tank with live sand and rock and a fair amount of Chaeto algae. I've got a small Aqua Clear 20 power filter for some water movement and a 4 watt Skkye Light on top for some light. I do see some Amphipods and Copepods but I won't do any transferring to the main tank until there is a substantial amount. And to transfer them, I have taken small fabric and plastic bags that you'd get with a Biomax filter insert and have stuffed some Chaeto in them in hopes that they will populate those as well and I will just continuously switch out the bags as time goes on.

I've also decided to start hatching some Brine Shrimp separately so we will see how that pans out.

(Tank water isn't actually green as it appears)Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437200912.650346.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	275301Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437200938.564980.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	275302

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

looks good

Tags
breed, breeding, copepod, star, start, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com