if i wanted to change my freshwater 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends. When cycling none at all. You can cover it with a towel so no light gets in. This will prevent algea and diatoms from growing while cycling. Once up and going with livestock I turn my actinics on at 9am then 10000k on at 1030am then metal halide on from 12 until 6pm then 10000k off at 7pm and actinics off at 9 then the moonlights come on. I have cords for all 3 sets of my lights so they are all on different timers but if you have an all in one I had on at 9 and off at 9 some people will say more some will say less its all preferance

Another question I have if you were suppose to reduce your lighting because of algae, what would you reduce it by? I just want to be prepared.. :)

Torrie said:
Another question I have if you were suppose to reduce your lighting because of algae, what would you reduce it by? I just want to be prepared.. :)

Reduce to 3-6hrs

It would depend if you have corals. I wouldn't run the lights less than 6 hours if so.
Plus, you shouldn't have algae problems if you are maintaining the tank properly. Feeding moderately and doing water changes to remove nutrients and replace trace elements will keep the algae away.

mr_X said:
It would depend if you have corals. I wouldn't run the lights less than 6 hours if so.
Plus, you shouldn't have algae problems if you are maintaining the tank properly. Feeding moderately and doing water changes to remove nutrients and replace trace elements will keep the algae away.

+1 I stopped having algea issues after my tank stabilized at about 2 months after I started it. I still get film algea a little which is fine it gives my snails something to eat. But it never gets out of control

Start like Half of what you think you need. I say add 5 or so for now. Can always add more. You don't want to over add and have them starve.

Depends on the tank and what you want to keep. Anemones require intense lighting and really should not be housed in a new setup.

As far as what's best, it's matter of opinion. I happen to like t5's alot and also like LED's, not a big fan of Metal halides though some people swear by them. :)

Back
Top Bottom