Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Impossible task?

My 75 gal. bowfront has been cycled and stable for about 1 month. I have 60 lbs of live rock, 1 true perc, 1 hawkfish, 1 goby, 1 striped damsel, 1 black damsel (both damsels are very well behaved, believe it or not and have been friends with the perc), 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, a red starfish, 4 emerald crabs, 4 very small hermits, and 4 turbos. Everybody gets along great.

I would like to add, over the next month or two, 2 or maybe 3 larger fish. I think it would be great to have a variety of size and color. I have read over these forums and see that everyone has different choices and ideas.

I would appreciate any advice about which fish to acquire to make the tank more colorful and interesting, but I am very concerned that the fish and verts get along well. I have no coral. Is this possible?

Old 02-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow. 8O 1 month and already over 5 fish? I would definitely wait and let your filtering catch up. What are your water parameters? If you add more fish, you're risking the health of your established fish. Patience is key here... I would be concerned with any more fish added w/o proper monitoring (I'm even concerned with so many fish in there so soon in such a short period of time)

Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, Rob. Actually, after the cycling was complete, I removed 4 blue damsels and returned them to the lfs. Because I used live rock and live sand, I had only a small amonia increase. At this point amonia and nitrites are 0, and the nitrates are less than 10. I am not rushing to add more, but would like to get some ideas so I can research them.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I too am worried about so many fish so qwikly. I too got real excited and added too many fish when I first got going. I too didn't use my QT tank after I got going and excited. You QTing? Fish real fast. Stressed tank. High trates. Dead fish.

See my profile for 75g inhabitants. Took 11 months to get there and a re-commitment to QTing new arrivals and going slower.

Hope this advice isn't too late for you. Not to be a doomsday profit, but you're likely to have some issues unless you slow down a bit and be careful.

It's important to us 'round here that you enjoy the hobby as much as possible and not go thru unecessary hardship.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Just saw your last post. I guess we were writing at the same time.

Kudos for your choice to take the 4 damsels back for now. Check out the b/g chromis later for group swimmers.

Way to go

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love my Coral Beauty. She is peaceful and has the most awesome shades of purple. Gets along fine with everyone and is not a "hider". She likes to show herself off to the crowd.

DJ

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« sand | NEW TANK!! »