is it ok to start my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
90 gal tank with 100lbs of reef sand and filled with di/ro water leaving about 6 inches from the top for the displacement of the water when i add my base rock and live rock. just waiting for the base rock to be delivered then i will go to the lfs to get the lr. just wondering if i could throw in a couple of shrimp to start my cycle before adding the rock. the sg is at 1.024. Thanks in advance.

NO, Just make sure that the rock is uncured its better.. precured you will have alot of die off and with a sand bed it can cause problems. Shrimp can be added when you get the live rock.

first ? is this going to be a reef tank? If so SG is low bring it up to 1.026 and are you using a hydrometer or refractometer?

I would put the rock in, then add the shrimp. You want the bacteria to grow on the rock and even if it is cured liverock, this will boost the bacteria count. I feel that the salinity is just fine.

according to all experts the SG for a reef tank should be at 1.026, low end 1.025 reason is parasites dont like high SG, lower the SG more problems. But first it really depends on how you are checking SG if a hydrometer i would go 1.024, a refractometer 1.026.

according to all I have read, 1.023 to 1.025 are proper levels for a reeftank. Mine is kept around 1.024-1.025 and my corals, fish and inverts do remarkably well. This is for all of my tanks, not just the tanks with corals in them.

I agree with Hara...although I am fairly new to the saltwater hobby, I have had read plenty over the years, and even worked at a pet store that dealt only in fish. IMO, 1.023-1.025 is good. I read somewhere that "real" saltwater is 1.022 or 1.021, depending on the location of course, but this number was an average.

DID you ever read the reefkeepers MAG? DR RON suggests 1.026.

Normal Seawater is 1.027 this was updated this year.

thanks for all the input. this is going to be a FOWLR tank, and i am checking the SG with a floating hydrometer. like i said, i have left about 6 inches to the top of the tank, so i am assuming that once i add 140 lbs of rock, i will either have to take some water out before it overflows, or add more salt water because i am too low. so either way i know that i will have to adjust my sg, but i too thought that 1.023 - 1.025 is ok. please advise. also, how accurate are the floating glass hydrometers? i thought since it was more expensive than the ones with the floating needle, that it would be more accurate.
thanks again.

Well someone better send the memo to my corals, they do just fine. Luckily they can't read Reefkeepers magazine or I would be in trouble.

I agree it can be done between 1.023-1.025 and you will find alot of reef keepers will agree. I dont' think there is a wrong here other than taking one man/magazine and thinking it gospel. There are tons of successful tanks with lower as well as higher salinity levels. There isn't always one way to do things.

According to Dr Ron 1.023 is good for a FOWLR but not a reef.

Reef tanks need to be at least 1.024 but suggests 1.026..

Your corals may be fine now, but its easier to get a parasite in low SG then high. Normal seawater is 1.027.

SUggest reading reefkeepers magazine about salinity.

I would suggest you research some places other than Dr. Ron. lol
He's not the only expert in the hobby.
I agree 1.023 is better for FO and a reef should have a higher SG. I just don't agree that it has to be above 1.026 so, I'll agree to disagree. And, I believe this thread was about starting a cycle and has seriously strayed so lets get it back on track. Thanks.

i think i'll wait to put the shrimp in until after i get my rock. thanks for the help, i think . . . .

In my opinion refractometers is the way to go, hydrometers can be inaccurate.

I have used a hydrometer in the past with success. However the general concensus is that a refractometer is more accurate. If you can afford the refractometer then get one otherwise the hydrometer will suffice. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom