Is this a good sand for a DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's time for me to make a big purchase on sand. The best deal i've found for so far ( i live in Nebraska and have little selection from the lfs) is from Dr.'s Foster & Smith. They're selling two kinds of sand i think may work. The problem is, i don't know which is better?

What sand should i get for a 5" DSB:

sand one (specifically the meridian Oolithic on this page)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8119&ref=3532&subref=AT&N=2004+113553

OR

sand two
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7321&ref=3532&subref=AT&N=2004+113553

Check your local HD's Some carry a aragnite play sand that works great and is less than $4 for around 50lbs It is apparently regional so cross your fingers. stay away from silica sand.

Brenden said:
Check your local HD's Some carry a aragnite play sand that works great and is less than $4 for around 50lbs It is apparently regional so cross your fingers. stay away from silica sand.

cool. yeah, i've already checked HD and they only have one kind of sand they sell and it's silica based. So i've pretty much given up with trying to find a local place that sells a aragonite based tropical play sand. I'll just get the shaft on sand since i live in BFE :(

I bought a 3000lb pallet of it and would be glad to ship it but the shipping cost is more than if you bought it local.

Brenden said:
I bought a 3000lb pallet of it and would be glad to ship it but the shipping cost is more than if you bought it local.

This is true. Shipping on 200+ lbs of sand would be just as bad as buying it from an LFS with super high prices. Be happy you all live in a place that sells aragonite based sand. I'm envious.

A lot of people on hear use the caribsea sand but the meridian oolitic sand looks like the same stuff. I have no experience with the meridian oolitic sand though. I would think either would be fine. You may also want to check marine depot. They were running a special on free shipping on purchases over $150 sand may be exempt though.

Brenden, if you are interested in shipping the sand, check out Greyhound. I have heard that people have used them to ship really large telescopes. The cost isn't meant to be all that bad, it just takes a while to get there.

Unless you need the buffering effects of aragonite sand, or want the different color of designer sand, just use a playsand that looks like you like.

Despite it being silica sand, the playsand won't release silicates into your water.
Another place I've heard about checking is your local concrete company-I've heard they can get aragonite sand really cheap! And, since they usually have accounts set up with the companies, and can add your little 200lbs. to their 10 tons they are having shipped-no whoppers of shipping costs!

Ship it GREYHOUND ... like OBX said! (y)

I shipped a whole ground effects kit for a car through them ... hood, side skirts, front and rear bumpers and a wing ... for like $50 and it weighed just over 200lbs! It will probably only take 3 days from NC to Nebraska maybe 4. :D

Back
Top Bottom