It came, It came, It came

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are you guys doing with all the hair on the rocks... Do I leave that on or pick it off. I am talking about all that little hairy stuff all over them. Is this benefical or not???

Yeah, I noticed that too. I just left it on and it seems to be slowly dying cause it's turning whitish and is starting to loosen from the rocks when a fish darts by.
Don't know if it will go away on it's own or if you (and I) need a clean up crew to do the job.
Maybe Zack can chime in?

cured?

So when you get rock from LiveRock.com overnight, do you have to cure it or is it still cured? I just went to a local place (www.tranquilscape.com) and bought 50lbs of cured rock today, but I need another 75-100lbs and was considering trying LiveRock since everyone raves about it so much! Also I know that certain fish eat coral so is this coraline that you are talking about like growing coral? I plan on moving my lionfish, dogface puffer and panther grouper into this tank and want to make sure it will be ok if my rock has coraline on it.

BTW I put the rock in my empty 75gal aquarium. It's been running for about 2 weeks, had 4 damsels in there but they all 4 died on Monday within 12hrs of each other so I'm assuming I had a major spike or something. I didn't have a SW test kit then but here are my numbers from earlier today before I added the rock PH:8.4 Nitrite .1 Nitrate 25 Ammonia 1

How long after I finish adding all my cured rock is it safe to put my fish in? I want to move them to this tank because the 55gal tank they came in (I bought it from someone) is really nasty and slimy, the rocks are covered with algae and the gravel on the bottom looks nasty, and there is a maroonish slime on it in the corners. I just want to put these fish in the larger tank and then clean this one up really good and start something new in it.

Girlfriend you need some test kits. I would not place one more item in that tank including more rock until you know exactly ehat you have going on. Some LFS will tell you rock is cured but it is not & it will cause spikes.

test kit

Ok well the one I have tests for those four things I listed, do I need to test for more? And what kind of results should I be looking for before adding the rest of my live rock?

Liverock.com's rocks will do well in a "established tank". Any die off will be absorbed through your existing bio-media, whether this is bio-balls from a wet/dry or cured LR, DSB that already exist in your tank.
If you place the LR in a new unbalanced tank, then the rock will probably go through it's curing cycle, cause that's essentially what you are doing. (curing)

That hair part we have found to stay in one place and does not take over. Mike who dives said some pieces had the hair but was in a very controled area.

I like how pecan2phat put
Liverock.com's rocks will do well in a "established tank". Any die off will be absorbed through your existing bio-media, whether this is bio-balls from a wet/dry or cured LR, DSB that already exist in your tank.
If you place the LR in a new unbalanced tank, then the rock will probably go through it's curing cycle, cause that's essentially what you are doing. (curing)

I am starting a frash 100gal reef w/20gal fuge. If I go to the LFS and buy a box of uncured $3 lb- and LS and cycle for a month or so, with this be a suitable tank for some fresh LR from LR.com. I will also be taking the LS and 10lbs of LR from an existing healthy 12gal reef. Or just be patient and wait, that's the only drawback to this hobby "PATIENCE"!

Here's a pic of the LR wall that I built using 60 lbs of LR from liverock.com, 50 lbs of cured algae covered Fiji rock that I bought off someone locally that advertised on eBay. Had to scrub clean the guys rocks, but it was cheap and had some coraline on it. So 110 lbs in a 90g with an existing 15 year running wet/dry trickle filter and a whole bunch of fish:

f9acbaf8.jpg

f9acba3b.jpg
[/url]

pecan2phat said:
So 110 lbs in a 90g with an existing 15 year running wet/dry trickle filter and a whole bunch of fish
Nice find on the rock and glad you could share your experience. I am however very concerned about your stock levels. Even though this is primarily FOWLR tank, that is one serious bioload.

How long have these fish been in the tank?:

2x Regal tang
Imperator angel
koran angel
Bluering angel
Queen angel
Clown tang
Blonde naso
Harlequin tusk fish
Hawk fish

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
pecan2phat said:
So 110 lbs in a 90g with an existing 15 year running wet/dry trickle filter and a whole bunch of fish
Nice find on the rock and glad you could share your experience. I am however very concerned about your stock levels. Even though this is primarily FOWLR tank, that is one serious bioload.

How long have these fish been in the tank?:

2x Regal tang
Imperator angel
koran angel
Bluering angel
Queen angel
Clown tang
Blonde naso
Harlequin tusk fish
Hawk fish

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
LOL, you have a keen eye. The clown is actually a Sohol and there is also a Majestic angel in there.
I knew the fish police would come bearing down on me one of these days!
I know, it's crazy. These guys have been with me anywhere from 2 to 6 years. (the hawk actually is the oldest @ 10+ yrs)
I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and I never learn that "one more" is two too many.
Seriously, the bio-load is extreme but I've had success with the tank just being a FO with dead coral decorations utilizing a wet/dry trickle filter, RS berlin protein skimmer & a CSL UV sterilizer. (all still currently employed)

It's funny though, I took out a ton of dead coral deco and replaced with the 110 lbs of LR and it seems very crowded now (probably always was). I guess it's the placement of the LR. Things just started to get out of hand when I broke down my 60g FO due to the big power outage we had last year here in NY (10 hrs). Everyone in the 90g FO & 29g mini-reef survived, but the 60g did not (never has in the 13 yrs I had it) and the survivors (Harlequin, Annularis or Blue Ring & Blue angel) were transferred into the 90g FO tank. The 60g is a Fancy Goldfish tank now & is doing well!
I guess it's time for a bigger tank or FISH SALE........

This pic is for Steve (not kidding about the Majestic :lol: )

f9acb80f.jpg

pecan2phat said:
I guess it's time for a bigger tank or FISH SALE........
Hehehehe.... I'm sure you will have no problem with either. The tank itself does look quite immaculate. Very nice looking fish too. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom