Jebo sw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weeztankx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a JEBO 75G FW tank and I would love to switch it over to salt. Does anyone use a JEBO tank for SW? Will the filter work? Will I need a second filter? I read somewhere that a drilled tank is best for reef tanks I am not to sure of what they mean I never ever heard of a drilled tank. If anyone knows the kind of tank I am dealing with and has some pointers on what equipment I need that would be grate after I figure this out then I will deal with substraight so on and on. I just want to Know how good this tank will be for a reef tank and what I need to make it good enough to suport one thanks for your time guys! O one more thing this tank runs on a bio trickel filter that is built in the lid. It has ceramic tubes and two kinds of mesh filters one is a carbo styl it works grate for FW but I have no clue about SW at all?

img_1023184_0_922b24c174d288822c4f1eef4bd35a98.jpg

Well, then you are going to have a wide range of stuff that you will need. First, you will need a new light. Measure how deep it is and we can tell you if you will need T5 HO or Metal Halide (MH). As for skimmer, look at reef octopus as they are great for the money. CPR is good for skimmers as well. For sand, get dry aragonite. 60-70lbs should be good IMO. You want to aim for about 1-2lbs of live rock per gallon. I would get about 80lbs and go from there. You can do a mix of base rock and live rock to save some money, the base rock will become live over time. As for powerheads, look at hydor koralias as they move lots of water in a small (IMO) package. Are you going to have a sump? No filters will be needed as live rock will be your filtration source. As for testing, grab yourself a refractometer as they are more accurate than the hydrometers, also, grab a liquid test kit and don't even look at the test strips because they aren't worth the time or money. Heaters, get two just in case one breaks. 2x100w heaters should be enough. Hope this helps.

By the way, saltwater WILL take lots of time and money, but the payoff is way worth it IMO.

Thank you so much. I am not sure on the sump mainly because I dont know what the function of one is. My friend has a tank that has been turned off for about two years should I try to use any of is rocks or water? I know that this is going to cost alot of money and time and I was starting to back out until I got your post thank you for the push. I plan on doing research for at least the next two months before I do anything.

Using the rock would be ok, I would get new sand though. The rock won't be live btw. A sump is just an area to add extra water volume to the setup and hide the skimmer, heaters, and other goodys. Some people will stick a fuge chamber in them and fill it with live rock, sand, and macro. Hope this helps.

So a sump would be a good place to but my uv light and such I see now thank you. I will be using a sump for sure. I am already learning alot. Do you think a 25g tall tank would be a good size for a sump. I am on ebay now looking for some of the things you suggested just to get a feel for prices. Do you have a good on line store you can direct to?

Edit........Good links thanks alot. I am ready to take the water out of that tank right now lol in another two months I will be really ready my whole life I have been scared of going to SW thanks to you guys I can see my life long dream of having tanks as nice as my dads is going to come true!

Aquacave (people that are in chat alot will joke about me on this one.....), Drsfostersmith.com, marinedepot.com, premiumaquatics.com, etc.... Just a few that I like in particular. 25g tall will be fine if you are just using it for equipment.

I am looking a a skimmer it is this one Octopus Extreme Skimmer w/pump - Model 200: Premium Aquatics

It is says that all skimmers work best in 8'' to 10'' of water these big things do not go in the tank but in the sump right. I was thinking that they would pipe the water down to the skimmer and then pump it back and the skimmer would just go under the tank??

Then I found this one it says internal/external http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=CI-IS-5E&Category_Code=Clearance
what you guys think? I don't really want a big thing like that in the tank if I could avoid it. Still learning lol

That skimmer would go in the sump (the first one). If you have a sump, the skimmer takes water out of the sump, skims it, and sends it back into the sump where it will be returned to the DT. Hope this helps.

Well I talked to the guy at the LFS that sold me my tank and at first he said yeah no problem you can make that tank into SW. Then I brought up about a overflow and sump and how I would go about hooking it all up with the rim that holds the tank. Then he asked if I was the type of jebo with the alum lid and cause it is he said no and because of L shaped rim that hold the lid to the tank. Me I dono I still think I can make it work cause the water never hits the alum part of the lid and I am sure I could rig a over flow some how. Firts this guy said all I would need to do is change my inside stuff and add salt water that the filter I use now would be more then enough "the trickle filter on there is one of the best filters you can get!" Years ago I thought this guy was then man I am not to sure anymore!:rolleyes:

I was thinking about cutting out some of the plastic parts of the lid where need be is this what you mean? What else could I use for a lid any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom