Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just another newbie!

Hello everyone my name is Emylie. I've recently started a 24 gallon reef tank which has been cycling for the past six weeks. I just tested my pH nitrite and ammonia. The PH is 8.2, The Nitrite is 0 ppm and the ammonia is also 0 ppm. I have black live sand form Hawaii and 25 lbs of live rock. Do you all think it is safe to add live stock to the tank? If so what would your recommendations be?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt mom View Post
Hello everyone my name is Emylie. I've recently started a 24 gallon reef tank which has been cycling for the past six weeks. I just tested my pH nitrite and ammonia. The PH is 8.2, The Nitrite is 0 ppm and the ammonia is also 0 ppm. I have black live sand form Hawaii and 25 lbs of live rock. Do you all think it is safe to add live stock to the tank? If so what would your recommendations be?
Welcome to aquarium advice!
Glad to see another reefer on here! Did you ever have a spike in ammonia/nitrite? Judging by how long you have been cycling I'd say you are probably good to start adding livestock. I love clowns as they have a lot of personality. Other than tht I don't really have favorites. Liveaquaria has good minimum tank size requirements for fish. I'd also start with soft corals like zoas and mushrooms then work your way into lps corals. Good luck!

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice. I did have a spike about a week and a half ago. I received the live rock from a friend that was moving across the country and I believe that has helped my tanks levels. I have also notice hundreds of tiny little pinhead sized bugs like creatures crawling over the rocks sand. They are also stuck to the sides of my tank. They are almost translucent and move in very fast short burst.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I did have a spike about a week and a half ago. I received the live rock from a friend that was moving across the country and I believe that has helped my tanks levels. I have also notice hundreds of tiny little pinhead sized bugs like creatures crawling over the rocks sand. They are also stuck to the sides of my tank. They are almost translucent and move in very fast short burst.
Those white bugs are copepods and are a good sign of a healthy tank. They are 100% beneficial and a nice snack for fish. If you had a spike then you are definitely cycled.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

Thank you for the advice it's nice to know that is not some type of parasite in my tank.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thank you for the advice it's nice to know that is not some type of parasite in my tank.
Haha yeah that is always a refreshing thought
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

mandarin

I like the mandarin fish. They have so much color! I can't have a mandarin yet tho since I started out with a 10 gallon tank... when mine is cycled I will have one damselfish.

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com