Just booted up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldnt worry too much about the ph right now while cycling. What test kit are you using? Are you sure its 8.8? If its an API test and its got some purple then its fine. I wouldnt chase after ph numbers, its a losing battle. What you want is consistency.
And no, prob not coraliine, its far too early for that.

Ok. Just asked because these are the two rocks I added right at the beginning but purchased from my LFS from one of their wet tanks.
I also bought two other rocks from another LFS that were supposedly "live" rock. And the rest of my rock is DIY.
And of course there was some debate earlier about whether or not my sand was actually live too as it was CaribSea Fuji pink live sand, but was dry when I got it with some lil bio package I had to mix separately and add to the tank slowly.
I will just continue to add pure household ammonia and watch the tank, test once or twice a week from now on!

Ok. Just asked because these are the two rocks I added right at the beginning but purchased from my LFS from one of their wet tanks.
I also bought two other rocks from another LFS that were supposedly "live" rock. And the rest of my rock is DIY.
And of course there was some debate earlier about whether or not my sand was actually live too as it was CaribSea Fuji pink live sand, but was dry when I got it with some lil bio package I had to mix separately and add to the tank slowly.
I will just continue to add pure household ammonia and watch the tank, test once or twice a week from now on!

DIY rock? Or dry rock...?

erm....

No, I'm new but not totally daft :lol:

I followed the instructions from several different DIY "live" rock videos on YouTube (went thru a few different recipes and made a lot of rock before I settled on a recipe and final rock look and texture I liked) - and soaked them for weeks!!
When I started my 10 gallon nano tank, I then purchased "live" rock (dry but cured and I cured it again) from a reputable LFS in a major city near me, wet (colored rock) from a different LFS in a different town & ordered "live" sand (CaribSea pink Fuji) from yet a third (also reputable) LFS that delivers! I figured dealing with different stores, I was more likely to get at least something actually "live" to mix with my own rock.
I have talked and met with two of the actual owners of said stores, but not the one that delivers.
I believe my water tests over the first week are showing decent parameters. I am NOT going to run out and begin buying corals or livestock, I am in the process of cycling this tank and waiting for "critters" to appear. I am not trying to rush the process, I am adding ammonia every day to feed BB and just biding my time.
I only set up this tank on October 20,2013. I am prepared for it to take 3-6 weeks to cycle and potentially much longer than that for the more exciting stuff to happen! However, I will keep posting pics and asking questions :blink:
:thanks:

Thanks!!
I am not sure what the "optimal" water parameters should be exactly for a starter FOWLR saltwater tank. Since that is what I am really hoping to eventually have tho right now I guess it would be considered a very new and not even fish only tank since it has no fish yet!
My tests as of 6pm on October 27,2013 were:
temp: 81F
sg: 1.023 - 1.024
ammonia 4
nitrites 3
nitrates 20
calcium 390
phosphates 0
alkalinity 10.2
no visible critters but I am still hoping they show up eventually. I KNOW I didn't need to test for all that stuff ... just the usual ammonia, nitrites & trates with sg and temp. I am pretty happy with the overall results after only a week. Will continue to post pics, ask questions, be patient and learn as much as I can. I look forward to making friends, reading, learning and seeing pics of other folks tanks so I can plan for my bigger one(s) in the near future!

Thanks!!
I am not sure what the "optimal" water parameters should be exactly for a starter FOWLR saltwater tank. Since that is what I am really hoping to eventually have tho right now I guess it would be considered a very new and not even fish only tank since it has no fish yet!
My tests as of 6pm on October 27,2013 were:
temp: 81F
sg: 1.023 - 1.024
ammonia 4
nitrites 3
nitrates 20
calcium 390
phosphates 0
alkalinity 10.2
no visible critters but I am still hoping they show up eventually. I KNOW I didn't need to test for all that stuff ... just the usual ammonia, nitrites & trates with sg and temp. I am pretty happy with the overall results after only a week. Will continue to post pics, ask questions, be patient and learn as much as I can. I look forward to making friends, reading, learning and seeing pics of other folks tanks so I can plan for my bigger one(s) in the near future!

The cycle is definitely kicking in! Hopefully some critters will pop out soon! Good luck, here's my tank since you wanted to see pics of other peoples :)

image-4176007094.jpg
Don't mind the dead clam shell, my gf liked it in there still.

I certainly find myself wishing I had used my 50 gallon tank to begin with but it is so big and I don't have a sump or most the stuff I would need for one that big (yet)!

The pic of yours is awesome bribo12! thanks for sharing it with me. I am a picture kinda person and like to document everything in photos, start to finish and all that good stuff.

I recently finished cycling a little 10 gallon freshwater tank with the ammonia so I feel pretty confident. It is partially stocked and the fishies there are doing very well so this shouldn't be any different or take significantly longer or anything. Still all a matter of patience and due dilligence.... add in salinity and so far it is exactly like FW :)

On a brighter note....
ammonia cycle of my 10 gallon freshwater tank only took 18 days.
Been doing little top offs with saltwater and my sg was 1.025 on Oct 28.

October 29, 2013
@ 4:30pm I added 1.0ml of ammonia
@ 7:00pm tests were as follows:
temp = 82F
sg = 1.025
ammonia = 2.00
nitrites = 5.00+
nitrates = 80+
pH = 8.8+
alkalinity 10.05
I did not check calcium or phosphates

Ok, so nitrates were way up past 80 on the 30th so I did a PWC to lower them and fed the tank some more ammonia after the change.
Tests on October 31, 2013 @ 6pm
temp: 79F
sg: 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrates 40
pH 8.4
alkalinity 10.2
these readings were all taken after the water change but before I "fed" ammonia for the bacteria. I added 1.0 ml of ammonia @ 6:30pm and will continue to monitor the tank daily (just for the fun of it) Still no critters from the "live" rock & sand :(

Don't worry about the little critters to much yet, it took me a couple months before I started seeing any :)

Thanks bribo12!

Well, I am still telling myself that too, but its so hard not to keep going back and staring at it in hopes of seeing something... anything really! lol
However, it is looking like the cycle is going very well at the very least :)
Pretty soon I will be asking: Should I add my one clownfish first or a couple lil guys as a CUC.... there is no algae, no critters, no anything in there. I am using pure ammonia to cycle so I am thinking fish first (when the tank is ready)

Thanks bribo12!

Well, I am still telling myself that too, but its so hard not to keep going back and staring at it in hopes of seeing something... anything really! lol
Pretty soon I will be asking: Should I add my one clownfish first or a couple lil guys as a CUC.... there is no algae, no critters, no anything in there. I am using pure ammonia to cycle so I am thinking fish first (when the tank is ready)

Yep the cycle is definitely getting there. You will see a nice brown diatom algae bloom at the end of the cycle that looks like dust.

Thanks bribo12!

You'll be amazed at how excited you'll be when you finally do find a little critter! Never thought I'd get so excited by just seeing an underwater bug lol it's an addiction so be ready! And good luck! Here is my 6gal pico since you said you'd like to see other tanks!

image-2669473163.jpg

image-1999463888.jpg

Ok, I saw something earlier today but it kinda freaked me out! lol
It was zipping around the tank pretty fast, seemed to be between jumping and swimming but landed on the glass for a split second then just disappeared. I think it was some sort of brown water bug lookin thing and with my luck is probably ALL bad! It wasn't very small either...
I have gone back to the tank a couple times since, but no sign of that thing again or anything else. Did my tests:
ammonia 0
nitrites 5+
nitrates 80+
did another 2 gallon partial water change to bring down the nitrates again since I don't want to stall the cycle. I will test again in a few hours and hopefully nitrites and trates are readable....

Just added 0.5ml ammonia for Nov 3, 2013.
Nov 4, 2013 @ 5:30pm
sg: 1.025
temp 78F
pH 8.4
ammonia 0
nitrites 1
nitrates 40
did no other tests today
added 0.5ml ammonia
just hurry up and wait already :p

Hurry up and wait, lol.
Your cycle looks like is definitely on the home stretch. :)
Dont worry, you will start seeing "life" soon enough in that tank. I sometimes sit in front of my tank in the dark with a flashlight too just too see what I can find. My cycle is about finished too, and today I saw a whole britsleworm actually out in the open, in the dalylight! So don't worry, youll start seeing all kinds of things before you konw it!

Back
Top Bottom