Just booted up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmar

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new 10 gallon test nano tank (yes I know bigger is better & easier). I cannot afford to go big at this time so I put some rocks in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, a powerhead and a filter with some saltwater and live sand and turned it all on!!

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-10-20 029.jpg
    Iphone 2013-10-20 029.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Iphone 2013-10-20 031.jpg
    Iphone 2013-10-20 031.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Iphone 2013-10-20 033.jpg
    Iphone 2013-10-20 033.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Iphone 2013-10-20 025.jpg
    Iphone 2013-10-20 025.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 156
Cool good luck! Just keep an eye on temp, and parameters as they swing easily in small tanks. Evap also causes salinity increases, so watch that as well...

Cool good luck! Just keep an eye on temp, and parameters as they swing easily in small tanks. Evap also causes salinity increases, so watch that as well...

Thanks muchly! I was aware of the evap causing higher salinity, gravity on my tank to start was only 1.022 in hopes of keeping that relatively balanced and will be doing "top offs" with non salted but dechlorinated water.
I forgot to take a pic of my light fixture - do I need it right away? Should I run a light yet at all? :blink::eek:

Thanks muchly! I was aware of the evap causing higher salinity, gravity on my tank to start was only 1.022 in hopes of keeping that relatively balanced and will be doing "top offs" with non salted but dechlorinated water.
I forgot to take a pic of my light fixture - do I need it right away? Should I run a light yet at all? :blink::eek:

When you say dechlorinated water do you mean tap water with conditioner in it? If so, please consider getting an RODI filter (removes all impurities from the water) or buy some RODI water from a local fish store. You will have better success with water quality, as tap water is usually loaded with phosphates that will most likely cause algae growth. And in terms of using the light, I used it while I cycled my tank fwiw.

I will look into the water asap and will run my tank with light off for the first week or two.

Really hoping that things balance out nicely and i can add 1 damselfish between week 6-8.

Plan on doing 1 weekly water change of 25-30% at least. I used CaribSea pink fuji live sand and some of my rocks already had algae and some were "live"

should I set the powerhead on powerhead mode (110gph) or circulation mode (500gph)?

Two days in....

tested for ammonia yesterday and it was: 0.50 (pH very high 8.8)
tested for ammonia today and it was: 1.00 (pH still 8.8)
This is exciting news for me, since I believe the rising ammonia is a very good thing and shows the cycle starting up!
Next tests will be Friday and then a 30% water change on Sunday. Hope to start seeing good things very soon.

Set myself up with RO/DI water and got my next batch brewing, heating and bubbling (for Sunday water change)

Picked up a light fixture, a new oxygen friendly canopy AND two light bulbs! (one is standard LED to start the live rock/other is for later -actinic blue for corals)

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-10-21 003.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-21 003.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 144
  • Iphone 2013-10-21 002.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-21 002.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Iphone 2013-10-21 005.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-21 005.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Iphone 2013-10-21 001.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-21 001.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 160
Set myself up with RO/DI water and got my next batch brewing, heating and bubbling (for Sunday water change)

Picked up a light fixture, a new oxygen friendly canopy AND two light bulbs! (one is standard LED to start the live rock/other is for later -actinic blue for corals)

Is that a 2 bulb t5 fixture? If you are planning on corals that will only allow you to keep mostly softies and maybe some lps.

Unless you are doing a fish-in cycle, there's no need to do any water changes. In fact, it will delay the cycle. Let the tank fully cycle, when ammonia and nitrites BOTH read 0, and you are showing a nitrAte reading, then it's water change time. Until then, let the tank take its course. What are you using as an ammonia source?

ammonia

Ok, Phew! Glad I didn't get to the planned water change then. I am NOT doing a fish in cycle. I haven't used any ammonia, no fish food, no shrimp, nada to get the ammonia reading of yesterday and today. However, I am thinking that my live sand / rock might have some die off that is contributing to the rise :confused:

I do have goldex pure household ammonia available to help it along if you think that is wise...

ok, still leaving light off and with a bit of hemming and hawing i decided to add 4 drops of pure ammonia to my tank last night. Will check ammonia level tonight around 24 hours later and if "high" 4+ then I will only add 2 drops, if still less than 4ppm I will add 4 drops again.
Will begin to "fishless" cycle my SW tank exactly the way I did with my 10 gallon FW. Should take about 3 weeks (give or take a day or two) with no water changes.
Guess my only question is: saltwater also needs a bunch of lil copepods etc for the live rock, is this different than the bacteria I am establishing with the cycle? or are they one and the same?
My sand was CaribSea live pink fuji (dry when I opened it) with some separately envelope of bio magnet stuff that I had to mix and add to the tank. Now CaribSea is supposed to be a top supplier of aquarium supplies so I am really hoping that the sand did in fact have what it should have...
This IS my first saltwater tank and I am not sure what to expect. I have set myself up with a source of RO/DI water for future water changes and will monitor the cycle closely. Is there anything else I need to do aside from regular water testing?

ok, still leaving light off and with a bit of hemming and hawing i decided to add 4 drops of pure ammonia to my tank last night. Will check ammonia level tonight around 24 hours later and if "high" 4+ then I will only add 2 drops, if still less than 4ppm I will add 4 drops again.
Will begin to "fishless" cycle my SW tank exactly the way I did with my 10 gallon FW. Should take about 3 weeks (give or take a day or two) with no water changes.
Guess my only question is: saltwater also needs a bunch of lil copepods etc for the live rock, is this different than the bacteria I am establishing with the cycle? or are they one and the same?
My sand was CaribSea live pink fuji (dry when I opened it) with some separately envelope of bio magnet stuff that I had to mix and add to the tank. Now CaribSea is supposed to be a top supplier of aquarium supplies so I am really hoping that the sand did in fact have what it should have...
This IS my first saltwater tank and I am not sure what to expect. I have set myself up with a source of RO/DI water for future water changes and will monitor the cycle closely. Is there anything else I need to do aside from regular water testing?

Copepods are different than the bacteria. They are tiny crustaceans that live in your rock, usually if you look at your tank at night you will see them scurrying around. They are a good natural food source for fish and a sign of a healthy tank. The Caribsea sand is good but idk if I'd consider it alive, it does sit on a shelf for a while and most of the bacteria die. However your live rock will turn it live again soon.
Expect awesomeness! Nope just regular water testing, topping off evaporation with fresh water and rock watching lol. Once your cycle finishes you do a good water change and then you are set.

YaY! My Salifert test kits came in today and I played with them tonight :brows:

temp = 82 ;)
salinity = 1.022 :rolleyes:
pH = 8.6+ :eek:
ammonia = 1.00
dKh (alk) = 10.2 :rolleyes:
Phosphate = 0.00 :cool::)

I still don't see any critters in the tank but I have faith they are there, just shy! :dance:
Patience, add nothing, test, watch, wait, watch, wait, watch, wait, test :fish2:

journal entry

Today tests:
sg = 1.023 (added salt water on top up trying to get salinity to 1.025)
temp = 80F
ammonia = 1.00 (added 3ml and will check again in a couple of hours)
nitrites = 1.00 (now I know the cycle is gearing up)
I swear my "colored" rocks look more colored today than they did yesterday. I will be eyein my tank with a flashlight again tonight in hopes of glimpsing some critters (but not holding my breath)
(y)

picture update

some pics of the tank today. Thinking a couple of my rocks are getting more color (y)

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-10-26 017.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-26 017.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 117
  • Iphone 2013-10-26 024.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-26 024.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Iphone 2013-10-26 032.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-26 032.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 105
From one newb to another good luck!:)

Just had a discussion with my boss about small saltwater , cant wait to show him the thread it can be done. I jumped a few replies but fyi, if rodi is hard to come by you can get distilled at target for a great price of 86 cents a gallon. Normally its over a buck and has been a savior for topoffs in my 29g.

Big thumbs up and good luck!

RO/DI cost...

Well, I went to our local walmart and they have an RO/DI machine and a 2 gallon jug (refillable) cost me 4.97, first fill was 1.97. ALL 2 gallon refills after are again, 1.97! Thought that wasn't too bad, until I came across a different RO/DI machine right next to our local farmers market stand..... 5 gallons for $2!! YES, it IS RO & DI, I checked :lol::cool:
Thanks for the well wishes. I am hoping that this goes really well except NOW I have to spend another $40 + taxes on another 10g starter for a QT :eek: but will give me the bare necessities for it so could be worse!
Sometimes I stare at it for an hour in the dark with just a flashlight in hopes of seeing some "live" rock critters but so far (7 days after setup) still haven't seen anything :whistle:

Well, I went to our local walmart and they have an RO/DI machine and a 2 gallon jug (refillable) cost me 4.97, first fill was 1.97. ALL 2 gallon refills after are again, 1.97! Thought that wasn't too bad, until I came across a different RO/DI machine right next to our local farmers market stand..... 5 gallons for $2!! YES, it IS RO & DI, I checked :lol::cool:
Thanks for the well wishes. I am hoping that this goes really well except NOW I have to spend another $40 + taxes on another 10g starter for a QT :eek: but will give me the bare necessities for it so could be worse!
Sometimes I stare at it for an hour in the dark with just a flashlight in hopes of seeing some "live" rock critters but so far (7 days after setup) still haven't seen anything :whistle:

Good work with the rodi! It took me a couple of weeks before I started seeing critters popping up, check the sand bed too I usually saw them there first!

Ok,
BIG questions:
how much does the pH of the water matter?
Does and/or will it change at all if I am NOT doing water changes during my cycle?
Does it even matter at all while cycling a tank?
I ask all this because I am now paranoid that the constant high (8.8+) might be detrimental to getting live rock/sand critters to thrive, reproduce and populate my tank. All my other water parameters that I have checked seem quite good!
Also, can ANYONE tell me if the color I see on my rocks is actually coralline algae?

Back
Top Bottom