Just started out with corals. What should my water temps be at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just introduced some coral about two days ago.
We don't us air conditioning , and the tank temp was staying at about 79 , but it got a little cold outside and it's dropped to low to mid 70's, we are going to buy a heater now.

What temperature should we set the tank to for the coral?

We have Xenia , some green polyps, and some grassy stuff I don't know the name of.

Also what light do you recommend? Any tips on knowing that it is healthy? How quickly should it grow?

Thanks!

image-2447021022.jpg

image-2270927046.jpg

image-3731106289.jpg

I keep my tank at 78. What lights do you currently have? What size tank and do you plan on extending your reef, that is, invest in more corals?

It's a 20 gallon tank, and we do want to invest in more reef, ill have to check our specific light bulb I feel like it was called Life-Glo or something along those lines. Also do you think we need a power head? We have a 300gph wet/dry filter hooked up so it provides a pretty strong current.

Ideal temp for corals is 76-78. Rapid temp changes can cause issues with most corals, so be sure to have a heater if house stays at 70. With a 20 gallon you could possibly get by with running t8 bulbs, 1 blue 1 white. I would recommend a small power head 25$? Xenia need good current flow over them. With proper light, flow and food ( I feed oyster feast to mine daily ) your tank will soon bloom with xenia. Happy Reefing!

Back
Top Bottom