just starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlitz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new to the forum and I am just starting out as I have been out of the hobby for many years. I have been doing some research and I have a question about glass or acrylic. what are some of the pros and cons as I had glass in years past and the acrylic tanks that I have seen look to be very nice as well. I was looking at 110 gal tall deep Blue at the LFS while Oceanic I was told is nice too,any help in this area would be great. Thanks...

glass is heavier, but scratches less easily

acrylic is much light and stronger, but scratces easily and is more expensive, and since its made out of one piece it usually has a not so easily accessible top to it

this is what i've observed, as far as what id do, im not sure very sure except that i'd want it drilled with overflows for me

Acrylic are clearer, But do scratch easier, less likely to leak, much easier do modifications if need be down the road, and don't get salt creep on the top like glass tanks. their much lighter and 17 time stronger. If you don't keep them wiped down regularly the coraline can take o toll on acrylic. most scratches if on the out side can be buffed out. to get coraline algae you'll need a plastic scraper

Glass tanks are much heavier, not as easy to scratch but if you do scratch a glass glass tank its not coming out. not easily modify, and most glass shop won't guarantee the work if you have them drill it. So make you get all the hole where you want when you buy your tank. Much easier to keep glass clean , you can use a metal scraper or any razor blade. another thing about glass if you malachite green or methylene blue it will stain the silicone. that s if you don't have the new black silicone that Oceanic uses.

I'm an Acrylic man myself. Most reefers like glass because its easy to get coraline algae off without scratching the tank. If i was going buy a glass tank it would be an Oceanic they have a tank line they call a brick style aquarium i really like. hope this helps. Good luck on your purchase.

Fishman

Thanks guys for all the great imput on this matter as I will consider all the information that was givin. I guess the next question is are there some manufactures that are better than others? I am partial to Oceanic but Being new I dont have much knowledge in some of the newer companies like deepblue that I had never heard of or dose it really matter. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom