Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
KeepersNanoSWBuildThread!

So I'm starting my SW journey with a nano and yes I know most of you think it's a bad idea to start so small but it will make keeping a bigger one in the future that much easier for me Anyways I have an empty 10 Gallon and it's most like going to be a FOWLR nano so here's my list of things I already have...
Instant Ocean Salt
Hydrometer
Power Head
Tank
API Master Saltwater Test Kit
Heater
Sponge Filter
Sand Cleaner Tool
Lots of Fish Food
Now here's my shopping list...
Aragonite Sand
Live Rock
And now my stocking list...
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Green Clown Goby
1 Oscellaris Clown Fish

If I missed anything that I need or you have any suggestions please post and help me out I've already gotten lots of advice from Carey and nxb1 I think that's the name but anyways thanks you guys!
Oh and I need to know how do I start adding stuff do I put the sand in ad live rock and water at the same time and begin the cycle? I will be using tap water. Thanks for yalls advice that I'm sure will be coming soon

Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dechlorinator for the tap water. Place the rock in the tank, then pour the sand around the base of the rocks to hold them in place make sure you calibrate your hydrometer correctly, don't want it throwing out wrong numbers. I'd recommend using 100% pure ammonia to help move your cycle along

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for replying thanks I wondering how to start the cycle and if I should put everything in. Will do all that thanks againalso how do you calibrate the hydrometer?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I can't remember specifically but I know you have to soak it it for 24hr I believe. Also if you have a few extra bucks, may wanna invest in a refractometer. Its more accurate and a lot easier to use. If you check ebay you can get a decent one for 30-40 bucks. You can use distilled water to calibrate it as well..simple as pie
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfFish
So I'm starting my SW journey with a nano and yes I know most of you think it's a bad idea to start so small but it will make keeping a bigger one in the future that much easier for me Anyways I have an empty 10 Gallon and it's most like going to be a FOWLR nano so here's my list of things I already have...
Instant Ocean Salt
Hydrometer
Power Head
Tank
API Master Saltwater Test Kit
Heater
Sponge Filter
Sand Cleaner Tool
Lots of Fish Food
Now here's my shopping list...
Aragonite Sand
Live Rock
And now my stocking list...
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Green Clown Goby
1 Oscellaris Clown Fish

If I missed anything that I need or you have any suggestions please post and help me out I've already gotten lots of advice from Carey and nxb1 I think that's the name but anyways thanks you guys!
Oh and I need to know how do I start adding stuff do I put the sand in ad live rock and water at the same time and begin the cycle? I will be using tap water. Thanks for yalls advice that I'm sure will be coming soon
You might to add a couple more sexy shrimp, they are fun to watch in a group, I have eight in an 2 1/2 gal. I also have a green clown goby in a 20 gal long. He is very active, racing through the liverock!! Another fun fish to watch! You have good taste! Lol
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
I can't remember specifically but I know you have to soak it it for 24hr I believe. Also if you have a few extra bucks, may wanna invest in a refractometer. Its more accurate and a lot easier to use. If you check ebay you can get a decent one for 30-40 bucks. You can use distilled water to calibrate it as well..simple as pie
Uh I don't a few extra bucks lol....I think I'll just stick with the hydrometer and do what you said about soaking it and stuff thanks though
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean

You might to add a couple more sexy shrimp, they are fun to watch in a group, I have eight in an 2 1/2 gal. I also have a green clown goby in a 20 gal long. He is very active, racing through the liverock!! Another fun fish to watch! You have good taste! Lol
Lol. Thanks I'm glad to see I made good choices and ya I was just gonna start with three fish since it's a small tank and add a couple more shrimp later
Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was also thinking I might get a Pajama Cardinal. Is that overstocking the tank?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pajama Cardinals are best kept in shoaling groups and may be a bit nervous by themselves without other pajama cardinals around, plus you already are on the overstocked side of SW tanks so I would just get the shrimp and if you want a CUC I would suggest sticking to snails. Welcome to AA by the way!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam61097 View Post
Pajama Cardinals are best kept in shoaling groups and may be a bit nervous by themselves without other pajama cardinals around, plus you already are on the overstocked side of SW tanks so I would just get the shrimp and if you want a CUC I would suggest sticking to snails. Welcome to AA by the way!
oh darn. ok wont get them but imma stick to my original stocklist evryone else said it was good but thanks for advice i know your just tryin to help. and thanks for the welcome

Tags
build, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com