KeepersNanoSWBuildThread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm starting my SW journey with a nano and yes I know most of you think it's a bad idea to start so small but it will make keeping a bigger one in the future that much easier for me:) Anyways I have an empty 10 Gallon and it's most like going to be a FOWLR nano so here's my list of things I already have...
Instant Ocean Salt
Hydrometer
Power Head
Tank
API Master Saltwater Test Kit
Heater
Sponge Filter
Sand Cleaner Tool
Lots of Fish Food
Now here's my shopping list...
Aragonite Sand
Live Rock
And now my stocking list...
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Green Clown Goby
1 Oscellaris Clown Fish

If I missed anything that I need or you have any suggestions please post and help me out:) I've already gotten lots of advice from Carey and nxb1 I think that's the name but anyways thanks you guys!
Oh and I need to know how do I start adding stuff do I put the sand in ad live rock and water at the same time and begin the cycle? I will be using tap water. Thanks for yalls advice that I'm sure will be coming soon:)

Dechlorinator for the tap water. Place the rock in the tank, then pour the sand around the base of the rocks to hold them in place;) make sure you calibrate your hydrometer correctly, don't want it throwing out wrong numbers. I'd recommend using 100% pure ammonia to help move your cycle along :)

Thanks for replying:) thanks I wondering how to start the cycle and if I should put everything in. Will do all that thanks again:)also how do you calibrate the hydrometer?

I can't remember specifically but I know you have to soak it it for 24hr I believe. Also if you have a few extra bucks, may wanna invest in a refractometer. Its more accurate and a lot easier to use. If you check ebay you can get a decent one for 30-40 bucks. You can use distilled water to calibrate it as well..simple as pie

KeeperOfFish said:
So I'm starting my SW journey with a nano and yes I know most of you think it's a bad idea to start so small but it will make keeping a bigger one in the future that much easier for me:) Anyways I have an empty 10 Gallon and it's most like going to be a FOWLR nano so here's my list of things I already have...
Instant Ocean Salt
Hydrometer
Power Head
Tank
API Master Saltwater Test Kit
Heater
Sponge Filter
Sand Cleaner Tool
Lots of Fish Food
Now here's my shopping list...
Aragonite Sand
Live Rock
And now my stocking list...
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Green Clown Goby
1 Oscellaris Clown Fish

If I missed anything that I need or you have any suggestions please post and help me out:) I've already gotten lots of advice from Carey and nxb1 I think that's the name but anyways thanks you guys!
Oh and I need to know how do I start adding stuff do I put the sand in ad live rock and water at the same time and begin the cycle? I will be using tap water. Thanks for yalls advice that I'm sure will be coming soon:)

You might to add a couple more sexy shrimp, they are fun to watch in a group, I have eight in an 2 1/2 gal. I also have a green clown goby in a 20 gal long. He is very active, racing through the liverock!! Another fun fish to watch! You have good taste! Lol

huma-huma said:
I can't remember specifically but I know you have to soak it it for 24hr I believe. Also if you have a few extra bucks, may wanna invest in a refractometer. Its more accurate and a lot easier to use. If you check ebay you can get a decent one for 30-40 bucks. You can use distilled water to calibrate it as well..simple as pie

Uh I don't a few extra bucks lol....I think I'll just stick with the hydrometer and do what you said about soaking it and stuff thanks though:)

ocean said:
You might to add a couple more sexy shrimp, they are fun to watch in a group, I have eight in an 2 1/2 gal. I also have a green clown goby in a 20 gal long. He is very active, racing through the liverock!! Another fun fish to watch! You have good taste! Lol

Lol. Thanks:) I'm glad to see I made good choices:) and ya I was just gonna start with three fish since it's a small tank and add a couple more shrimp later

Pajama Cardinals are best kept in shoaling groups and may be a bit nervous by themselves without other pajama cardinals around, plus you already are on the overstocked side of SW tanks so I would just get the shrimp and if you want a CUC I would suggest sticking to snails. Welcome to AA by the way!

Pajama Cardinals are best kept in shoaling groups and may be a bit nervous by themselves without other pajama cardinals around, plus you already are on the overstocked side of SW tanks so I would just get the shrimp and if you want a CUC I would suggest sticking to snails. Welcome to AA by the way!
oh darn. ok wont get them but imma stick to my original stocklist evryone else said it was good but thanks for advice i know your just tryin to help. and thanks for the welcome

ok so im really low on money and im gonna use all the money i have at the moment for stocking my 55 gallon FW tank so it might awhile before i get this SW one going but thanks for all yalls advice:) ill post here as soon as i get it going

Got a hood today and light today for the ten gallon so I'm making progress....got it from walmart so I'm not what kind of light it is but ya there's an update:)

Would 10 lbs. of live sand(aragonite) and about 5 lbs. of live rock be enough for this tank? Also on the bag of aragonite live sand on petco.com it says instant cycling and you dont have to wait to add fish....is this true or a lie?

It is creative marketing. No one likes to wait. The fish may survive or you wil buy more fish. Win for petco.

Why tap water? I realise SW is expensive at $1.40 a gallon, but filtered water is $0.25 in front of the grocery store. If you use tap to start, at least get pure for the top offs.

cabezon said:
It is creative marketing. No one likes to wait. The fish may survive or you wil buy more fish. Win for petco.

Why tap water? I realise SW is expensive at $1.40 a gallon, but filtered water is $0.25 in front of the grocery store. If you use tap to start, at least get pure for the top offs.

Ok thanks I'll do regular cycle( was gonna do it anyway just wondering lol) and if the water is that cheap I guess I'll go ahead and get some.

So I still have this empty 10 gallon after I got my biocube and now I think I have fallen in love with clarkii clownfish lol:) so I was thinking I could set this tank up with a couple pieces of liverock and get a clarkii clownfish a goby of some sorts and a shrimp:) sound good or bad?

User said:
How much you planning on spending?

Not that much since I have a powerhead and I was told before I don't need a skimmer or sump...why? Are clarkii's expensive to care for?

Ah it was more of a random question. I just realized you already had everything and I too am making a nano but reef

Back
Top Bottom