Keeping my word and going salt.. so lost lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I told convict that I'd go salt if he went planted. He said he's been thinking of going planted so I guess I'd better get ready to go salt lol.

The first problem is that I can't actually do it until I get my own place. That could be a good while. But I thought I might as well go ahead and figure out what the heck I'm getting myself into.

I've done some of my own research but I'm still confused. Exactly what equipment is required for a sw tank? Is it easier to have a bigger tank or a smaller one to begin with? What kind of fish are good to start off with and exactly how hard is a reef tank?

I know these are broad questions but I have time to figure it all out if you guys will have patience with me lol.

I guess now I'm to expect all you salty friends who know me as a hardcore freshie to start rubbing this in my face Bahahaha :p

Ok I'm by no means an expert as you know ;)

Bigger is better in saltwater, there's more room for error. Smaller tank and things can go bad fast.

Now again what I can tell you is based on my own experience and knowledge, hopefully the more seasoned saltys will chime in.

I happen to like the all in one tanks like the BC29 or the JBJ's etc... Also just to add my friend has a very nice 10 gallon tank with a power head and a aquaclear 110. I'll post pics when he sends them. You won't believe it's a 10 gallon!

So back on track. You'll need a power head or power heads depending on flow. You can get power heads from Koralia, Tunze or even Aqueon or go with a really nice unit like the MP10 which is much more then a power head IMO.

You can use a 10 gallon and still have a nice set up IMO am use it to get your feet wet so to speak. And when your comfortably you can always upgrade. The choice is yours.

You'll need a RO/DI unit for making your salt water. I happen to get it pre mixed from a friend.

Your going to want a refractometer also so you can test your salinity.

Your gonna need a saltwater test kit. API or the more expensive BUT more reliable one Salifert kits.

Live rock also. Your gonna want some. You need all live rock but I believe some is good as it will help cycle and act as natural filtration for your tank. Live sand, you don't need it. I used it but I've read and have friends that haven't and I don't see a difference.

Lighting. I'd go with LED's. If you go small like a 10 gallon your options are still good and you can find some amazing LED's on eBay or Craigslist.

I hope this helps a little. Sorry I'm still new. My tank as you know is 9 months old.

Google can be a good friend here as well as the saltys on the forum.

I'm throw in some links you may find helpful.

PS glad your keeping your word! I'll be sure to start a planted build thread when I'm ready :)

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/setting-up-your-saltwater-aquarium/

Check out there other videos also.

Test kits

http://www.aquacave.com/Salifert-Aquarium-Test-Kits-C719.aspx?gclid=CKndk8z94LECFQjc4Aod_w0A2g

Power heads

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-powerhead/ps/c/3578/4586

MP10

http://www.aquacave.com/Vortech-MP10-ES-Propeller-Pump-by-EcoTech-Marine-P2821C789.aspx

RO/DI units

Reverse Osmosis & RODI Systems

Refractometer

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4690+9957&pcatid=9957

I hope this helps, again I know it's very basic as far as the information I gave. But I hope at least it gets the wheels turning. I wish I could be more help to ya.

I didn't add anything about a skimmer because if you choose something small that's under 30 gallons you really don't need one if your good with weekly water changes.

I won't get into corals and stock just yet.

Again hope this helped.

Dino

Speak of the devil and he shall appear, huh? ;)

Thanks chief that was all a huge help. :) I think I'm going to start writing some things down on paper, figure some costs and whatnot.

Convict basically covered the basics :) I'm not an expert myself too but doing 10 gal saltwater is hard because you it's too small to house 2 fish and sure a lot of people wouldn't recommend 10gal to start a SW tank. That's not to say that it can't be done, it's just harder. :)

If you want this as something to test youself out with I would reccomend a "plug and play" style tank which the red sea max systems are very nice and you can get larger systems then most. Just ask gboy and Nu-nu about theirs if that's the direction you would like to go but I highly reccomend starting with atleast 40 gallons to help with parameter swings and give you more stocking options because trust me, if you get into corals you'll quickly run out of room with how addicting it is ;)

It is all about scaping. Mine looks smaller than it is because of all my rockwork, but it is a massive system of caves that even I didn't even notice that I made. Painting the back also helps. Painting mine black is in the future of mine I think.

Sniperhank said:
It is all about scaping. Mine looks smaller than it is because of all my rockwork, but it is a massive system of caves that even I didn't even notice that I made. Painting the back also helps. Painting mine black is in the future of mine I think.

+1 on black back. Mines covered in coraline now cause I love coraline lol but the black really adds to the depth of the tank

Mrc8858 said:
Looks great convict love the favia and how you make your tank look twice the size it really is :)

Thank you!

Sniperhank said:

Very true. I put rock work in front on right hand side then left the left hand side open and did rock work further back to give it depth. When I show pictures everyone thinks its bigger then a BC29. I guess that's a good thing since that's what I was going for :)

Hahaha paytertot, beware.... Once your feet get wet in saltwater you will abandon all of your freshie tanks :) lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hahaha paytertot, beware.... Once your feet get wet in saltwater you will abandon all of your freshie tanks :) lol

Lol I don't think so. You may have won the battle but I will win the war! Hahaha

Nu-Nu the eel said:

Totally not even lying here. SW or die!! Lol

Let's not get this thread closed lol. I wanna see this through and hope to see a wonderful saltwater tank from our friend.

I can add that patience is KEY here. So just take your time and ask lots and lots of questions and do a lot of research it will pay off in the end.

I agree. But if you want to knock out a lot of confusion I would get a Red Sea Max tank, probably the one built for SPS reefs. I only say this b/c I seen you were talking about all in ones earlier. Nu-nu has the RSM 66 gallon tank.

They are pricy but extremely nice. But you do lack some customization as with any all in one set-up. I believe they are coming out with a beer version of these also or just came out with one but not 100%

Mr. D said:
I agree. But if you want to knock out a lot of confusion I would get a Red Sea Max tank, probably the one built for SPS reefs. I only say this b/c I seen you were talking about all in ones earlier. Nu-nu has the RSM 66 gallon tank.

They are pricy but extremely nice. But you do lack some customization as with any all in one set-up. I believe they are coming out with a beer version of these also or just came out with one but not 100%

Yeah that or a biocube 29 like convict has! Both are cool setups!

Here's some pics of my friends 10 gallon with 2 Par30 lights. Just to give you an idea what can be done with a small tank if done right and if you maintain it well.

Water changes every week, no skimmer. He does have a mini HOB fuge made out of a AC110.

His stock is 1 clown and that's it. He does have inverts. Snails, hermits and a cleaner shrimp.

I happen to think it looks good for a 10 gallon.

image-3619010635.jpg

image-2314041298.jpg

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Here's some pics of my friends 10 gallon with 2 Par30 lights. Just to give you an idea what can be done with a small tank if done right and if you maintain it well.

Water changes every week, no skimmer. He does have a mini HOB fuge made out of a AC110.

His stock is 1 clown and that's it. He does have inverts. Snails, hermits and a cleaner shrimp.

I happen to think it looks good for a 10 gallon.

Looks great

Back
Top Bottom