Large Bristleworm in a small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmoore1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently started a small 20 gallon saltwater tank, I added some live rock and was pretty happy when I started getting loads of small worms and brittle stars coming out. Then I noticed a 10 inch (fully stretched out) bristle worm. I know they're supposed to be non aggressive and excellent scavengers, but its been hiding in some of the crevices in the live rock and I'm worried that if I add fish to the tank they may accidently rub against it, especially since this worm is considerably larger than any of the fish I was intending on adding.

Should I be worried about a fish accidently getting envenomated? As far as removal goes, I happen to think the worm is pretty cool and would prefer not kill it. I have a 120 gallon fish only tank with a built in sump, and I was thinking of throwing the worm in there. I know they can be pretty prolific breeders, is there any risk that the worm or its progeny could enter the main tank via a powerhead? assuming they can't climb up 36 inches of acrylic backing? I'd appreciate any advice. Or you could let me know if you're in the market for a very large worm ;) Thanks.

I dont think it will bother the fish. But it is really big and stranger things have happened. You could maybe trap him. I would leave it. I think it will be fine.

The bristleworm actually help keep the tank clean mine come up from the sand so I know they are turning my sand naturally without causing problems with the water quality. If anything dies he will help clean it up as well.

Back
Top Bottom