Cycled tank but then!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey

So today after having a "cycled tank" ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate >25
For info : gh>4, kh8, ph7

I did a 75% water change.
Now i have nitrite 0.25, nitrate >25, gh<3, kh3, ph 6.4

Do i have to wait?

What should i do before to get the fishes?

Also now i have a lot of tiny white worms whom appeared on the glass!?

Did you do a gravel vac when you did your water change? Maybe it just disturbed some of that fish food into the water that is giving you some less than ideal water quality.

Do you know if your tapwater is chlorine or chloramine treated? If its chloramine treated then the ammonia in the chloramine may have converted to nitrite which hasnt quite yet fully cycled to nitrate.

0.25ppm nitrite isnt harmful. Its up to you really. We really have no idea if you are fully cycled or not, and i suspect not fully, but you have some cycle going. As said the only way to know is to either try some fish or get some ammonium chloride, dose it accurately and see how long it takes to cycle out and complete your cycle that way.

As suggested, if we go the fish route some elevated water parameters is to be expected, but as long as you monitor things and change water before it gets toxic, no real harm done.

Ok so i went and got 10 black neon tetra.

Will see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20231025_173033.jpg
    20231025_173033.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 19
just my .02 here but i say just monitor (test) every 2-3 days and do water changes as needed. eventually you will fully cycle and then can settle into a routine for WC.

Back
Top Bottom