Levels after cycle and adding new fish and cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess4880

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What would cause nitrites to test at .1, Nh3 .25, is this the result of adding new fish almost a week ago? Or should I be checking to see if a snail or something has died? Also how large pwc should I do with these levels? Also having trouble getting nitrates below 20 tested tap water and it is at 0 nitrates any other suggestions?

Thought I was adding this to previous post but apparently not so here are my specs on tank.
30 Gallon
percula clown
tomato clown
orangetail blue damsel
3 turbo snail
3 nassirus snail
2 margarita snail
1 bumble bee snail
emerald crab
2 blue leg hermit
2 red leg hermit
50 lbs lr
20 lbs live sand
crushed coral on very bottom under sand
2 maxi-jet 1200 powerhead
bio-wheel filter

Ammonia and nitrites suggest that the cycle has not completed and there isn't enough bacterial population to completely convert it to nitrate OR, you stocked your tank too much, too soon.

Had you tested 0 before adding new fish? How many new fish did you add?

What is your NO3?

everything was 0 but nitrates was 20 and added 2red leg hermit 1 turbo snail 1 nassirus on 4-28. Levels stayed the same so added damsel, 2 turbo 2 nassirus, bumble bee, 2 blue leg and emerald crab on 5-12. Guy at lfs said I should be fine because cleanup crew would not add nh3. NO3 is still between 20 and 50 closer to 50. Also added the 30 lbs base rock about 3 days ago.

Hopefully add skimmer soon having to add little at a time as $$ permits.

Ok, this makes everything a little clearer.

This is definetely a case of too much, too soon.

The LFS guy is right in saying that the clean up crew won't really contribute to your NO3 levels..... BUT, they will be affected by it. I think 50 ppm of NO3 is WAY too much to start adding inverts, (clean up crew). Fish may be able to handle it, but ideally, you want your NO3 down to <20 ppm before introducing anything into your tank, IMO.

I'm also confused about something.... you mention at the top that you have 50 lbs of LR, then you say you added 30 lbs of base rock.... Is this correct? 80 lbs total in a 30G. I'm guessing not, but I would like what actual percentage of LR is to base rock. Was any LR added AFTER the cycle was complete? This will also cause a spike in ammonia and nitrite.

Did the damsel go in after the other two fish or before, it wasn't clear to me. This could also be contributing to the spike in ammonia and nitrite. you need to add slow to give the bacteria a chance to build its numbers to process the increased ammonia being produced when you first introduce new fish.

The base rock....tell us more about it, was it just dry, porous rock?

Filling out your button by updating your (scroll about half way) will keep you from having to post your specs each post ;)

As for the small nh3/no2 spike it could be from adding too many fish too soon but IME it’s usually from 2+ snails dieing and fouling up the tank.

Have you checked all your snails for movement? Smell the shell to make sure they are not dead. If it doesn’t stink something fierce then they are probably alive and just inactive for the moment and I would put them back in.

I had a batch of 4 I bought from the lfs a couple of months ago and that batch died a couple of weeks later and caused a small spike in my tank because I didn’t notice it fast enough.

All snails, hermits, shrimp, stars, ect… are considerably more sensitive to sg/ph changes and require a longer 3+ hour drip acclimation before adding to the tank.

Even better is to set up a QT matching the sg/ph of your lfs so it’s even easier on them.

Once properly acclimated they usually are quite hardy.

20 lbs live rock 30 lbs base rock from hirocks.com. Nitrates were at 20 when I added cleanup crew it has just risen a little since it is not at 50 completely it is still more pink than red when I test.

I have seen all snails move except one nassirus and it was alive when I added base rock 3 days ago still trying to find him. Yes the damsel was added after the clowns they have been in tank since we got it. All live rock was in tank while cycling.

Would well water be better than city water if it tests okay?

I was also thinking maybe I did add too much at one time but was just going on what lfs told us. What should I do to keep from tank getting stressed?

yep....pwc's is the way to go from here on.

Secondly, never take the word from the guy at the LFS as verbatim, for that matter, never take ANYONE'S word as verbatim. You may find the occasional LFS to have accurate advice in the end, but just take caution and do your research by asking others that are NOT making a dollar from you as they give you their advice.

Filling out your button by updating your (scroll about half way) will keep you from having to post your specs each post Wink

Heyy...that's my gig! LOL!!!

You get to do the banana thing.....

How long does it usually take to go below 20 if now changes are made to tank?

Sorry should have been no changes (such as fish or cleanup crew) but continue with pwc as normal. Would more live rock fix the problem or what else should I do?

Would well water be better than city water if it tests okay?

I use well water, but it would depend on what is in your well water, as to which is better. I just put a PH in, mix my salt, add a heater, and let it mix for at least 24 hours.

Not too sure about city water....you might have to add something to get the chlorine(?) and other chems out.....

I think you'll see a reduction in nitrates with frequent pwc's. But if you are looking for a better long term way to control your nitrates, then consider a refugium. Also, don't overfeed you livestock.

Where can I find the article to build refugium? Only feed 1 cube frozen brine shrimp every other day.

Go with a variety of foods. I soake my frozen in different types of vitamins and such, like Selcor, Zoe and Garlic....

Back
Top Bottom