Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting?

I have a 75gal aquarium and I want to put in fully cured live rock and eventually have corals. I was at the LFS and they told me I need around 300 watts of light for this. Is there a certain kind of bulb I need? Some of their lighting was extremely expensive and I've seen bulbs at home depot that are 150 watt lights. Could I use these?

Old 10-23-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

To explain they types of lighting and their functions in this post would take about 3 pages of text. To summarize, there's PC's, VHO, and Metal Halide. If youre just starting out PC's are good to use and then move into metal halide's. Or if you have the money now you can just to straight to MH's. The general wattage per gallon is 3-5. So 4 x75 you have 300 watts which is about on par with the LFS you went to. I think there are some good articles in the "Articles" section that can help you. Also there was a post called Lighting Comparasin. Search for it in the forum search area.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Biotoxin is on the money.. I went on an info craze for a solid day to know all about these things. I guess in summation you just need the money when it comes to these lights. The lights you saw that were 150 watts are most liekly not what you need... but could be.. it comepletely depends. You'll see whe you start reading about them. You'll most liekly need Metal Halides, compact flourecents.. and/or VHO's which I hear nto as many people using any more. Compact flo's are nice to start with, but MH's are definstaly powerful. There are a lot of poeple here into corals.. so you'll get mega help soon, I am a freshwater person myself
Old 10-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
lighting

On my 75 gallon i have two 250 watt 10 k Mh and Two 55 watt Actnic 03. Lighting looks great i think i have around $400.00 in all of it. If you shop around you can get pretty good deals. Good luck Dewey
Old 10-23-2003, 06:26 PM   #5
cj10488

MHO I would go straight for MH lights.. The ones at Home Depot are not going to work as they are a different color temp I believe 5500k and you want 10k bulbs.. Some use 20k bulbs which are a more blue color.. MH kits are on ebay for around 300.00 for a dual 250 watt minus the bulbs which should be plenty for your tank.. Bulbs for MH lights usually run for $50.00-100.00ea PC lights will work however you will find alot of corals demand MH to really thrive and live comfortable as with clams.. Here is a good Retro kit that should suffice for your tank as well as most corals low light excluded..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3212

I have not purchased from them but It is the kit I have been debating for quite some time.. All that would be needed then is the MH bulbs as the VHOs are included and fitting the kit into a hood.. I currently have 330 watt PCs on my 55gal which are nice but I hate finding a coral or... and finding out that it does best under MH lighting and fairs at best under all other lighting.. I wish I would have just went and got straight MH bulbs but I wanted to save the Hundred or so Dollars on the PCs..

HTH,
James
Old 10-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The general wattage per gallon is 3-5.
Quote:
The ones at Home Depot are not going to work as they are a different color temp I believe 5500k and you want 10k bulbs
I dont get it. Which is more important Watts or Kelvin?

Doug

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
I dont get it. Which is more important Watts or Kelvin?
Actually it is both... Watts denotes the intensity and brightness and Kelvin denotes what color range the light is going to look to the eye...
Old 10-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
cj10488

Both are important.. As well as both mean different..

wattage you want 3-5 watts per gal which for MH bulbs doesnt really factor as there is a different rule of thumb for Mh lighting which I do not remember off hand I do haever know it depends on the depth of the tank for MH.. Kelvin is the color temp of the light.. the 5500k lights are going to be extremely yellow "think car headlights" which are not suitable for aquarium use.. 10000k are going to be a more blueish-white.. 10000k is what most of us run supplimented with Either VHO actinic or PC actinic... Some people use 20000k bulbs as well.. You will see people using anywhere for 6500k to 20000k bulbs Do a search on this board for lighting and it will give you a better idea as to everthing about them.. Lighting is one of the most common topics in any saltwater forum...

HTH,
James
Old 10-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Actually it is both... Watts denotes the intensity and brightness and Kelvin denotes what color range the light is going to look to the eye...
oh, I thought that k was just another measure of brightness like lumins or something....

Thanks

Doug

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lighting alternative?

I've been researching the lighting issue. GARF has been sucessfully keeping corals by starting out with NO fluorescents and switching to VHO after a year or so. It's called their bullet-proof reef setup. They are even keeping healthy SPS with only VHO's.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com