Lighting!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! I was thinking about starting a 10 gallon saltwater tank, and i was wondering what light i would need to grow basic corals! I heard that a t5 light would be good and i wanted to know if thats true, if so how much it would cost! Thanks!

Hey, T-5 is a great choice. It is probably anywhere from $100-$300. LEDS are good too and aren't too expensive if you have a small tank. Are you thinking basic corals like soft corals (xenia, etc.) or LPS or SPS. Here's a link to the light I use, but it's pretty costly and is not needed if you are just keeping soft corals.

Sunlight Supply TEK Light T5 Fixture - English

Ohh thanks! Well i only want the most basic of corals, and ya the lught would go on a 10 gallon! Haha im a beginner so i was hoping for something as cheap as possible, but could grow stuff! I thought i saw a t5 online for 30$? Was i looking at the wrong place?? Thanks!!

Haha not to be discouraging but it's going to be hard to find something for under 100$ that can keep corals:/

Hey guys. I was wondering if you can still sustain simple coral with two incondesant lights and about 6 hours of indirect sunlight

Va-lerry said:
Hey guys. I was wondering if you can still sustain simple coral with two incondesant lights and about 6 hours of indirect sunlight

Like the 15 watt bulbs that come on small freshwater set-ups?

Ya i was just hoping for a bulb, i dont need the whole set up! Haha how much is the bulb?

Yeah. My 10 gallon came with a hood that holds two 15 bulbs

Va-lerry said:
Yeah. My 10 gallon came with a hood that holds two 15 bulbs

Yeah that won't house anything. You'll need a t5 HO fixture with atleast 36 watts for your tank and then you can house some low-medium light corals.:)

SleepsWithFish said:
Yeah that won't house anything. You'll need a t5 HO fixture with atleast 36 watts for your tank and then you can house some low-medium light corals.:)

Alrighty thank you. I'll take a look.

How much does it cost for the bulbs alone?? I could get 2 lesser bulbs cuz i have 2 ten gallon hoods! :) so could i get 2 20 watt bulbs? Expensive?

Yeah but the thing about the lights in those hoods is they aren't fluorescent. There indacecent and those can't house corals.

How much will LED clip on's run him? Carey posted a light that could sustain coral for a ten gallon for only 60 bucks!

Go to rapidleds.com and look at the screw in led light bulbs. They are around 70 to 80 and can sustain Lps and Sps corals in a 10gal tank. You will only need one of them

Tomchong22 said:
Go to rapidleds.com and look at the screw in led light bulbs. They are around 70 to 80 and can sustain Lps and Sps corals in a 10gal tank. You will only need one of them

Es mucho dinero

Back
Top Bottom